what is the deal ?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Blackhawk690

what is the deal ?

Postby Blackhawk690 » February 2nd, 2011, 10:48 am

i guess i have been across the Pond too long.... what is this Heavy shot stuff ? i have killed many turkeys with 2 3/4, and 3" and now 3 1/2" wanting more shot for a more dense pattern, so i bought a back bored Moss 835, and have tired a few choke tubes. got all caught up in the Hype, that only seems to spend money. the turkey is just as dead with 2 3/4" #5's as it is with the 3/12" #5's now we have this heavy shot? what is it ? is it lead or steel or what ?
i think since i still have boxes of Winchester Sup #5's i will use them up before i attempt to get caught up with attempting to keep up with the Jones..... i still remember dead is dead... break that neck with shot and it is dead. our forfathers killed many turkeys with old single shot, 36" bbl's and what ever shot they had.... but now we spend millions on the next gaget that is supposed to kill better... OK well... i want to use my crossbow, but alabama won't let me... so my compound will do... my 835 and 870 will do... what happened to using normal lead shot ? call em in close, then kill them.
calling them in close is as much the hunt as killing a bird.

Mike
Blackhawk
Mossberg 835 Turkey Thumper
Huntsville, Alabama.

mark hay

RE: what is the deal ?

Postby mark hay » February 2nd, 2011, 11:04 am

That's good stuff, Blackhawk . I like your assessment as well as your last statement . Call 'em in close .

I watched one of my old Primos , spring turkey hunting videos yesterday . Several turkeys died at well under twenty yards with 3.5 inch loads .[8|][8|][8|][8|][8|]

I use to be caught in this high dollar part of the game . I thought the more stuff I had the better hunter I'd be . WRONG!

Having everything that relates to turkey hunting will not shorten the learning curve ,,,,,,time among turkeys will be time well spent .

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » February 2nd, 2011, 11:35 am

Hevi-Shot is not lead, it's advertised as "heavier than lead". It's composed of tungsten, nickel, and iron alloys that are supposed to create denser patterns and carry it's energy better at longer distances than most other shotshells. I think Hevi-13 3" 2oz. #6 shot is pound-for-pound the best shell that you can buy and they seem to pattern well from many different chokes. Even still, I agree with you blackhawk, a dead turkey is a dead turkey, whether you shoot 2.75" or 3.5" magnum shells in any brand. It's the same thing with a deer rifle. It doesn't matter if you shoot a .223 or .30-06, if you aim true and are comfortable with your firearm and ammo choice, you can kill a deer. I shoot Hevi-Shot for turkeys because they pattern well from my gun, and I know when spring season opens up my gun and I are both going to be ready to get down to business![:D]
Brian

grizzly

Postby grizzly » February 2nd, 2011, 12:10 pm

when i first started hunting i used heavy game loads 4s 5s and 6s then awhile ago i began using remington nitro turkey they pattern good and they're cheap when i look at the prices of some new stuff i wonder why any one would pay that much. i'm with mark i think a lot of people spend to much money on stuff they really don't need to be successful i think the new comers should start with the basics and work on their woodmanship skills then they can decide what more gear they may need but i have to admit i do love to add new calls to my collection [:)]wayne

roycefromrc

Postby roycefromrc » February 9th, 2011, 9:34 am

mike i hear you there brother.What ever happened to good old Winchester super X mgs? Cheap,high powered ,lead shot killing shells.I used them with great success on pheasant,ducks and canada geese.Cant use them on waterfall anymore but whered they go?
caution: I make bad decisions.

Return to Shooting