Conclusion: The Point of Don't-Know Return

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » March 19th, 2012, 4:15 pm

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

I’d always rather regret trying something than kick myself for not doing anything. Our decoy set consisted of two hens and a jake — the standard of the day in the late 1990s. Figuring I’d better try to provoke a reaction, I jake-yelped and hoped the longbeards were infuriated by the interloping youngster.

Several minutes later, the jake decoy had been reduced to scraps, and the videographer had some of the coolest footage I’ve ever seen. After my jake-yelping, the birds broke immediately and put a beat-down on our fake turkey.

Oh, and I shot the strutting gobbler, too. Turns out I didn’t have to worry about the pattern at 45 steps. The pattern at 18 yards was just fine.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get 66 minutes of expert calling instruction!

xcal1ber

Re: Conclusion: The Point of Don't-Know Return

Postby xcal1ber » March 20th, 2012, 12:40 am

Nothing remotley close to that but a dang good job lol
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 20th, 2012, 1:50 am

I feel you X, I was thinking the same thing.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 20th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Goes to show that while there's always a lot of wrong answers, there's usually more than one right answer as well.

Return to Decision Time