Conclusion: Chain of Fools

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » March 16th, 2011, 3:51 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Doggone it, my host -- a turkey hunter of unparalleled experience -- had said "shoot," and I was not about to second-guess him.

So I shot and plastered the mesquite bush in front of the turkey with 2 ounces of lead. The gobbler jumped straight in the air and flew over us. I tracked him with my gun and was preparing to fire again when my barrel slammed into a live-oak branch.

Goodbye turkey, hello humiliation.

Apparently, my host hadn't instructed me to shoot. He'd said, "When you're comfortable and he's in the open, go ahead and shoot." Of course, I'd only heard the final word, as relayed by the guide next to me.

"No problem," the guide said. "It's Texas. There's always another turkey."

There was. However, I'd have to wait two more years and two more trips to Texas for that first Rio. And believe me, the memory of the unspoken "shoot" stayed with me the entire time.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get great deals on all the new turkey gear you'll need for Spring 2011.

dewey

RE: Conclusion: Chain of Fools

Postby dewey » March 16th, 2011, 5:41 am

I have seen something like this happen to a friend of mine last spring. I sat up on a hill and he sat in a lower area below me. The turkeys were supposed to come from the lower area and bang he gets one. They of course did not and they come from behind me and then veered off in his direction. I am sitting there wondering when he is going to shoot and then he does, the gobblers fly off and I asked what hapened before seeing his line of sight. After I saw that I said no wonder they didn't drop you were trying to shoot through a jungle.

Good Decision and Conclusion again Brian.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

TeocTom

Postby TeocTom » March 17th, 2011, 4:59 pm

It is amazing what adrenaline will do to us. I got so worked up last season when a gobbler started gobbling that I had to switch to a mouth call because I couldn't use my striker I was so worked up. It sounded like morse code.

I love these stories! Please keep them coming.
Eric
Team 4
Turkeys on a Plane

TRapper

Postby TRapper » March 27th, 2011, 8:44 am

my decision is just what happened to me that happened to you, i will no longer shoot unless i have a clear shot, and i instruct any others i am calling for to do the same
Joshua "TRapper" Jones
Dream Sportsman Trips at Dream Prices
http://trapperstravel.roviadreams.com/d ... /tripslist

Return to Decision Time