Conclusion: The Debate at Fool's Hollow

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » March 7th, 2012, 1:25 pm

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Certain the turkey was in the bottom, I made the call. We’d ease around a small finger ridge and slip toward the bottom. And 49 steps into the march, it seemed like a great idea.

At step No. 50, however, the gobbler — which had been above us on the ridge top, and had been slowly working toward us — flushed from a gooseberry bush and weaved his way up the bluff. Had my shotgun not been so tangled in my vest over my shoulder, I could have body-shot him at 20 steps.

No one said a word. We knew we’d blown it big-time. However, I’m pretty sure I saw my buddy — the one who’d coursed the turkey correctly — smirk slightly as we finished our long, hot punishment march.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get 66 minutes of expert calling instruction!

Bobbyparks

Re: Conclusion: The Debate at Fool's Hollow

Postby Bobbyparks » March 9th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Forgive me for saying this but it makes some of us feel better that you don't kill em every time :)

I've gotten to where I have more trouble sometimes telling if the gobble was in front of me...or behind me...and often to get a second gobble to confirm....or I'm in the same boat you were...

Used..to..one gobble and I was locked in on him.....can't swear to it...but thinking age may have something to do with it in my case :)

Another good story sir
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Return to Decision Time