Conclusion: Mexican Standoff

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » July 14th, 2010, 5:07 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

The turkeys sure liked that flat, so I figured they'd stay there for a while. My Mexican guide and I left Mitch at our original setup and belly-crawled 50-some yards to a fence near where the birds had been.

Our first calls brought gobbles from the breeding flock, which was about 100 yards away near the base of the bluff. Gobbles also rang out behind us, though, and within minutes, a longbeard and three jakes popped out and stood 25 steps away. When I shot the longbeard, the breeding flock raced up the ridge and disappeared, but I didn't care.

When we walked back to Mitch, I was ready to brag about the great move we'd made.

"Man, y'all could have stayed right here and shot a huge longbeard," he said. "Right after you started movin' over there, a gobbler broke off from that flock and came right in. You'd have killed him at 10 steps."

Even when you're right, you can be wrong.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Get the world's greatest gun book before it hits stores! Click here!

Cut N Run

RE: Conclusion: Mexican Standoff

Postby Cut N Run » July 14th, 2010, 4:59 pm

Shows what I know...[&:]

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » July 15th, 2010, 6:34 am

When you're surrounded with that many birds Brian it sounds like 2 wrongs can still be right[:)]
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

TRapper

Postby TRapper » April 3rd, 2011, 4:36 pm

yep,  expect the unexpected,  lol,  had turkeys come in silent behind me and gobble what seems like on the other side of the tree,  i jumped and he ran off,  wow,  i got an education that day
Joshua "TRapper" Jones
Dream Sportsman Trips at Dream Prices
http://trapperstravel.roviadreams.com/d ... /tripslist

Return to Decision Time