Conclusion: Feelin' Minnesota

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » April 6th, 2011, 4:25 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

I was in bluff country, so there was enough rise and fall in the terrain to conceal some movement. Sticking close to the far edge of the pasture, I slipped around the field, walked up a county road and then eased into the pastured woods on the other side, glassing as I went.

Had I bumped the bird? I yelped to find out. Hallelujah, a gobble fired back in response, probably 120 yards away. I set up and readied my gun.

That's the last noise I heard from that rat. I stayed there about 15 minutes until the stupid bird popped up 10 steps in front of me. I demolished a deadfall with my first shot but killed the longbeard with my second effort.

I felt pretty smug about that -- until the turkey started flopping in the biggest, wettest cow pie west of the Mississippi River. Suddenly, I didn't feel so smart carrying him out of the woods.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get all the great new gear you need for the Spring 2011 season!

dewey

RE: Conclusion: Feelin' Minnesota

Postby dewey » April 6th, 2011, 8:01 am

Sounds like the turkey may have gotten the last laugh "Oh yeah you are gonna kill me, well I am going to flop in this giant steamy cow pie"

Good stuff thanks for sharing Brian.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Return to Decision Time