Conclusion: The Pugilist

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » April 12th, 2011, 9:42 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

It probably would have taken us a minute to crawl to the hilltop, and the gobbler might have been out of range by then. So, Stoltz took the second option and changed his calling tactics. In fact, he started a fight.

Smacking his hat on the ground and belting out aggressive purrs on his mouth call, Stoltz spared nothing. The turkey responded, gobbling furiously with each sound. Seconds later, the bird had whipped a 180 and was coming in.

When the longbeard's snowball-white head topped the rise and the videographer gave me the OK, I slapped the trigger and ended the hunt. And then I breathed a sigh of relief. It was 9:30 a.m., and I'd beaten the opening-day bell with more than three hours to spare.

"I don't know what changed his mood in the first place, but I figured only a fight or challenge would bring him back," Stoltz said.

And he'd been right. An hour later, Stoltz yelped up two more longbeards and killed a bird with 11/2-inch spurs.

Turns out he's right a lot.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get all the great new gear you need for the Spring 2011 season!

educote

RE: Conclusion: The Pugilist

Postby educote » April 13th, 2011, 9:01 am

I love that trick. I have used it multiple times to break an old gobbler from his position. When they choke themselves with gobbles during that episode, they usually to come as things quiet down.

I will keep in mind using it to turn one that was committed and turned on me.

Ed

Return to Decision Time