Conclusion: It's That Same Old Song Again

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Conclusion: It's That Same Old Song Again

Postby Brian Lovett » August 23rd, 2011, 4:28 pm

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Conclusion: It's That Same Old Song Again (I Hate It 'Cause It's True)

Of course, the smart play was to ease onto the ridge, let the bird calm down and patiently wait for something to happen. But after getting whipped by the morning gobbler and the twice-boogered turkey, I felt the urge to make something happen.

Scott and I crept toward the point, slipped through a narrow gap and emerged on the other side of the finger ridge. I pointed out a good place to set up, but Scott didn’t seem to notice. He was too busy watching the gobbler run out of the woods, across a field and probably into the next county.

And that’s the story of the turkey we subsequently nicknamed “Three-Bump.”

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get your 2012 Deer & Deer Hunting Calendar!

Cut N Run

Re: Conclusion: It's That Same Old Song Again

Postby Cut N Run » September 26th, 2011, 9:49 pm

An injury helped slow me down and improve my patience. Plus, the land I hunt is far from ideal for running & gunning. There's just not much as aggravating as watching a turkey run off for all he's worth...unless he flies off.

That's turkey hunting. Good luck next time out.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Decision Time