Conclusion: Condemned to Hill

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » May 25th, 2011, 11:18 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Figuring I'd done well to slip so close to the turkeys, I decided to let them make the move. Tense moments passed while I searched for movement just over the rise.

And then the longbeard gobbled again -- 100 yards away, back at the field edge. The birds had done a 180 and gone right, leaving them well out of range and taking me back to the drawing board.

Turns out it didn't matter. As the hens walked along the field edge, the gobbler suddenly raised his head and putted. Just then, something -- I'm not sure what -- fell from a nearby tree and thudded to the ground. Minutes later, he was over the hill, and the hunt was finished.

Should I have slipped over the hill? Maybe. Or perhaps that would have resulted in spooked turkeys and a questionable shot opportunity at a moving bird. Either way, the result was the same.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to learn about deer and turkey management beyond food plots!

xcal1ber

RE: Conclusion: Condemned to Hill

Postby xcal1ber » May 29th, 2011, 9:25 am

Id say now that you know the outcome of the adventure your kicking yourself saying "Why didnt i just make a move on that tom?". Even though you didnt kill that bird, i think you still made a good decision because most of the time that gobbler would have came in, and even if they didnt you still could have made another end around, because random objects usually dont fall from trees causing the turkeys to start putting and leave the area.
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

Return to Decision Time