Conclusion: A Bench Too Far

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » August 4th, 2010, 3:52 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, then see how things actually turned out.

Patience and positioning are usually critical when dealing with any turkey, and we already had the latter. I just needed to exercise the former. I decided to wait that old buzzard out.

At any moment, I?expected to see that white softball periscope above the ridge. I clucked and purred. He gobbled. I went silent for long stretches. He gobbled. I scratched in the leaves. He gobbled. One time, I thought about calling, and I'm pretty sure he gobbled.

But he never came. And soon, he was gone. I was stunned.

"Maybe you should have belly-crawled him," I said sheepishly to my friend.

He sighed and shook his head.

"Maybe so," he replied.

Not exactly a vote of confidence.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get the best venison cookbook on the market!

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: Conclusion: A Bench Too Far

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 4th, 2010, 9:06 am

Guess our thoughts on the subject were about the same, so I guess I would be looking for another bird also. [&o]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » August 4th, 2010, 11:59 am

If you'd had belly crawled and he busted you you would be kicking yourself for not being patient and probably would have thought you would have for sure got him if you waited. He was so close

I think you made the right call chief............ and the bird ought to be ashamed of himself for not doing what we all know he should have done. [:)]
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » August 5th, 2010, 3:02 am

I agree on yours being the right call too. How many times have you moved, only to have the bird end up where you started?

It is nice when their curiosity plays against them, but they wouldn't be as challenging if they were very predictacble.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Decision Time