Conclusion: Wrong Squared

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » January 22nd, 2014, 3:51 pm

"Decision Time" is back! In this interactive feature, editor Brian Lovett will share a scenario from his 25-plus years of hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

The flat was way too open to crawl and float-call. The birds would see me instantly and bolt. So, I tried to get the attention of my buddies and urge them to move.

Too late. A bobbing white head 30 steps in front of me betrayed the gobblers' approach. Soon, four longbeards stood 25 steps away in the open, the lead bird strutting, drumming and gobbling. In any other situation, it would have been a turkey hunter's dream.

This dream, however, ended with me whispering "shoot" as loud as possible. To his credit, my buddy on the left of the tree had tried to urge our friend to shift to the right, but our friend had not. When my "shoot" instruction came, the guy on the right tried his best to shift his gun into position, and our friend on the left followed suit. The birds caught the movement, of course, and started a quick departure. Two shots rang out ... and four gobblers flew down the hill. OK, that's not entirely true. I think one sprinted away. It was a double miss.

Any turkey hunt holds many "what-ifs," but this topped them all. Our setup had been good. The birds were rarin' to go. And the clues to success weren't difficult to decipher. But I guess we all need a bit of help now and then, and when I wasn't in position to tell my buddy to shift to his right, we were already sunk.

There is a happy epilogue to this tale. A week or two later, one buddy slipped into that place and got another crack at one of the longbeards. He missed that bird, too. Thankfully, I was not there to share any of the blame.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Return to Decision Time