Conclusion: Infinity and Beyond

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » September 1st, 2010, 8:16 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, then see how things actually turned out.

Years earlier, I probably would have stood, walked to the lip of the ridge, hammered on a call and then slipped through the woods to where I thought the turkeys might be. However, those types of aggressive moves can often be the kiss of death with silent, henned-up birds. After a brief discussion, Jerry and I decided to stay put and see what would happen.

I grabbed my box call and yelped a few times. Minutes later, I went into a long calling series. Five minutes and numerous yelps later, I had nothing to show for it.

"There he is!" Jerry hissed.

Unbelievable. A snow-white head atop a blood-red neck had shot up from the edge of the woods and was surveying the field. Soon, he puffed up like a balloon, fanned out his tail and began drumming. A minute later, he was flopping by the decoy.

"Man, I'm glad we stayed put," I said.

Jerry nodded.

"Yeah, I couldn't tell where they were, so it seemed silly to go blundering through the woods," he said. "A lot of guys move way too soon, before they know what's going on."

I didn't bother telling Jerry that I was usually one of those guys. For the moment, we looked like geniuses, and I liked that feeling.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get a great deal on Season 4 of Deer & Deer Hunting TV!

Bobbyparks

RE: Conclusion: Infinity and Beyond

Postby Bobbyparks » September 1st, 2010, 9:41 am

Congratulations again! I'm noticing life expectancies of birds are short around you and your partners.

It's funny what you said about the genius thing.........I've found for me personnally with turkey hunting.....that there's a fine line between being a "genius" or an "idiot".

Unfortunately in a large percentage of cases I fall into the latter catagory
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » September 1st, 2010, 4:59 pm

The way you handled that bird seems like one of the few sensible ways to play it (to me). If the gobblers are surrounded by hens, there are that many more eyes traveling together that could bust you. My favorite saying is luck counts, but you can't rely on having much good luck in that kind of situation. If you are already in a good spot and undectected, ride it out. The worst thing is you'll get to spend a Spring day in the turkey woods. The best thing is what happened for you.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 1st, 2010, 7:02 pm

It would be interesting to know if that was the bird that was roosted there or another that can in looking to steal a hen? Either way you put a bird in the truck and made the hunt a success. [:)]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Decision Time