Decision Time: The Rain King

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Decision Time: The Rain King

Postby Brian Lovett » September 29th, 2010, 4:34 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett will share a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, then see how things actually turned out.

The Rain King

Wing-shooters are fond of saying, "Don't think; react." That is, they don't want to analyze a target, preferring to let their natural hand-eye coordination do the correct calculations for them. Now and then, turkey hunting can be like that.

Several years ago, I'd been whipped by almost two full days of frustrating hunting in western South Dakota. Then it started pouring.

Thinking my evening hunt was washed out, I decided to drive to Wall, where I could get a cell-phone signal and make some calls. After a quarter-mile, though, something caught my eye. About 250 yards ahead, several turkeys were walking down from the Cheyenne River breaks toward a line of cottonwood trees near the river. I quickly confirmed there was a strutter at the rear.

I was in business, but that raised some questions -- mainly how I might approach the birds across the wide-open flatland. I could slip around the western edge of the road and sneak along the river toward the tree line, where I could in the rain wait for the birds. However, that approach was very open, and the turkeys could easily bust me. And did I mention it was raining? Otherwise, I could duck off the gravel to the east and head directly through a cut cornfield at the turkeys, staying out of sight beneath the slight incline of the road. Yet that would be pretty brazen, and they might be past me when I arrived.

I was stuck between a sneak and a charge.

What would you have done? Post your decision below.

Click here for Lovett's decision.

Click here to get the jump on the 2011 deer season!

Bobbyparks

RE: Decision Time: The Rain King

Postby Bobbyparks » September 29th, 2010, 1:02 pm

Hi Brian,

If my truck was camoed & 4 wheel drive and they were walking away from I might consider running them down with the truck. lol

It sounds like the move along the river would get you busted so it seems the brazen approach thru the corn field is the best option/ hope.

I'm thinking I'd double time it thru the field at first until I made up some ground and try and shock call them when I startred getting closer. If I heard them and could still get around in front of em I'd go for it. If that didn't work I'd try and call them toward the corn. If that didn't work I'd go get back in the truck
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: Decision Time: The Rain King

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 29th, 2010, 4:22 pm

Let me quote Custer.............Charge [8|]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Decision Time