Conclusion: The Rain King

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » September 29th, 2010, 4:36 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, then see how things actually turned out.

Maybe it was desperation, but I chose to go for the home run. If nothing else, I'd probably spook the birds at a long distance, so I wouldn't have to spend too much time in the rain.

I grabbed my gun, pumped in three shells, stuck a diaphragm call in my cheek, and belly-crawled over the eastern road bank and down into the cornfield. When I was out of sight, I turned toward where I'd last seen the turkeys and walked as fast as I could toward them. Within minutes, I was at the lip of the road near the tree line.

Slowly, I peeked my head over the rise and searched for the turkeys. Instantly, I saw two hens feeding about 100 yards away. They had to be from the breeding flock I'd seen earlier, but where was the gobbler?

I uttered a series of yelps but got no response. I was just about to call again when the approaching longbeard raised his head on the other side of the road. And somehow, the wet blob in the cornfield didn't look like a hen. He immediately ducked his head and spooked. However, I'd gotten too much of a drop on him. I swung my gun and fired, killing him instantly.

If I had to do it again, I probably would have taken a more conservative approach and slipped along the river toward the tree line. However, I'm probably thinking about it too much. For that day, at least, reacting -- not thinking -- proved to be the right move.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get the jump on the 2011 deer season!

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: Conclusion: The Rain King

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 29th, 2010, 4:26 pm

Good move [;)]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Decision Time