Conclusion: Road Rage

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » October 13th, 2010, 5:11 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, then see how things actually turned out.

Because there was so much open space between my setup and the woods, I didn't think a major move was wise. Yes, there were birds in the oaks, but the odds of me slipping undetected across 250 yards of wide-open road into the sparsely foliated hardwoods were slim. Further, I didn't know what had happened to the jakes and gobbler on the road. I hadn't heard them in a half-hour, and I'd never seen them, but that didn't mean they weren't still there.

Cursing my suddenly conservative nature, I settled back into my set-up tree and resumed calling softly every few minutes. I'd stick with the plan.

After about a half-hour, I saw a flicker of movement just over the rise on the road. As I dropped my striker onto my lap, a bright-red head popped into view, followed by another. And another. And four more. The jakes had found me.

Thankfully, the longbeard was with them, and after a few tense moments, I fired and dumped him on the road. I jogged to the bird, sending jakes flying everywhere. I figured it served them right for sneaking up on me.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to see the most incredible deer hunting shot simulator ever created!

Bobbyparks

RE: Conclusion: Road Rage

Postby Bobbyparks » October 14th, 2010, 12:08 pm

Congrats again.....you kill alot of birds!!!
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Return to Decision Time