Conclusion: The Green Quarter-Mile

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » November 10th, 2010, 9:10 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, then see how things actually turned out.

I cutt again on the aluminum call, and two gobblers hammered back. They were still out of sight, over a pretty timbered ridge that bordered the field's eastern edge.

Stuffing my call in my vest, I walked double-time along the field until I was 40 steps from the farm's southeastern boundary. There were small knolls to the east and south, and an old stump stood along the fence line. It wasn't a great option, but because of the terrain, I could probably shoot the turkey the second I saw him. The stump would be my setup, for better or worse.

I sat, aimed my gun at the corner and cranked out some soft yelps. A longbeard gobbled 100 or so steps due east, just down the ridge. Then, two more gobbled 80 steps to my right.

Argh! Those birds were moving west along the neighbor's creek, and I doubted I could yelp them into the field.

Figuring I might have blown it, I called again. Sure enough, the westbound birds gobbled a bit farther away. But lo and behold, the eastern gobbler was 20 steps closer.

After about a minute, I yelped again, and the turkey blew my hat off at 50 steps. I let the call fall to my side and flipped off the safety. Seconds later, the longbeard stepped into the field and met 2 ounces of Winchester's finest.

In hindsight, it had been a classic hunt: locate turkey, get in position, call and shoot. Had I stayed in the wood line, I might have lured the westbound birds to me. However, that strategy would have been based on a big assumption.

And hey, I figured that close counts. Of course, so does luck.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get the best venison cookbook on the market!

Return to Decision Time