Conclusion: Game of Inches

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » November 16th, 2010, 9:47 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, then see how things actually turned out.

With the gobblers so tantalizingly close -- probably 15 steps from being in range -- I wasn't ready to give up yet. As my friend continued calling, I made like a worm and slowly tried to wiggle to some brush 10 yards ahead. I had to wait until the longbeards lowered their heads, ease forward a few inches and then freeze immediately the instant they resumed alert status. After the first few feet, I realized the strategy was working, and that I was actually gaining ground.

Thirty seconds later, I was as far as I could go, and the gobblers, not wanting to lose their ladies, had turned to follow the hens. If I was going to shoot, I had to do so immediately.

I estimated the birds were right at my self-imposed range limitation, so I raised my gun, centered the sights on the closest longbeard and waited until my friend called again. The gobbler craned his neck, and I fired, sending turkeys running and flying everywhere.

After my head and shoulder recovered from the recoil, I struggled to my feet, retrieved the gobbler. I still wasn't sure if I'd made the correct decision, but you couldn't argue with the result. Still, I wondered if an end-around maneuver might have given us a more classic hunt.

Then again, those debates are much more enjoyable when there's a gobbler in the back of your truck.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get the most incredible deer hunting aid ever produced.

BigBuckeye

RE: Conclusion: Game of Inches

Postby BigBuckeye » November 17th, 2010, 5:02 am

I would rather have a memorable hunt than a classic hunt any day!!!

Thanks Brian!
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » November 17th, 2010, 10:27 am

ORIGINAL: BigBuckeye

I would rather have a memorable hunt than a classic hunt any day!!!

Thanks Brian!

Yes Sir, a bird in hand is better then the two peeking back at you through the bush. [:D]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » November 17th, 2010, 12:22 pm

Haha well said Scott!!
Brian

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » November 20th, 2010, 11:15 am