Conclusion: Running Big

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » November 23rd, 2010, 9:28 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, then see how things actually turned out.

Maybe that's when sense kicked in. Doggone it, there had been a gobbler at the hardwood knob two straight days, and two birds had roosted near it that morning. There was no reason a lonesome longbeard wouldn't want to visit it again.

I grabbed my decoy, tip-toed through the opening in the brush and walked to the base of the knob. It was a terrible spot to call, so I blew a crow call instead.

The birds hammered back instantly. Unreal.

I climbed the incline, set up and enjoyed 10 minutes of in-your-face gobbling and strutting action. Then, I found a window through the brush and shot the closest longbeard.

Looking back, there was no way I should have considered leaving the area near the knob. It was just too good. And with turkeys using it seemingly every day, the choice was really no choice at all.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to learn about free shipping on all F+W Media products!

Cut N Run

RE: Conclusion: Running Big

Postby Cut N Run » November 29th, 2010, 9:22 am

Well played, Brian. Turkeys don't generally hang out somewhere they're not comfortable. If you get in their living room undetected and be prepared to wait, good things can happen.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Decision Time