Conclusion: Got You Covered

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » June 8th, 2011, 4:02 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

As expected, the birds started to rubber-neck and checked their wings before starting to walk off. Sure, a quick move might let me kill one of them, but it might also wedge my barrel into a mess of cedars or provide an obscured shot at a fleeing bird. No way.

So I waited, and the turkeys walked directly away. When they hit the 15-yard mark, the lead gobbler was in the open, so I didn't hesitate. And when he tumbled to the Texas dirt, he didn't flop.

I'd like to say I jumped out of the cedars and was on the bird in a second, but it took me a few moments to dislodge everything from that mess. Yes, the plan and blind had worked out well. Next time, however, I'll carve out some better shooting lanes.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get the jump on pressured bucks this fall.

Return to Decision Time