Conclusion: Beneath, Between, Behind

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » October 2nd, 2012, 3:42 pm

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

The trip back to the road and along the logging trail would take at least 10 to 15 minutes. Further, the turkey was pepper-hot. I figured I could try him from across the ditch and see what happened. If he hung up on the opposite ridge, I still had enough cover to make my end-around.

When the turkey hit the ground, I yelped at him softly, and he screamed back immediately. I waited a minute and then yelped again. He roared, and he was closer. After the next call, he was closer yet, and after the next, I scolded myself to get my gun up — now.

I heard him drumming before I saw him, but that didn't matter. When he topped the small ridge in front of me, he was at 18 steps, and I watched him for a moment before ending the hunt. It's not that I felt smug about my decision; I just wanted to appreciate the moment. After all, red-hot turkeys can make any decision look good.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Need a great knife? Look no farther!

ylpnfol

Re: Conclusion: Beneath, Between, Behind

Postby ylpnfol » October 3rd, 2012, 8:12 am

i called my first spring longbeard across a swamp, i never thought he would come, til i heard his wingbeats, if you catch 'em in the right frame of mind, w/out hens, anything is possible.....
David

You never know, unless you go

Return to Decision Time