Decision Time: Elysium

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Decision Time: Elysium

Postby Brian Lovett » December 22nd, 2010, 9:11 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett will share a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Elysium

There he stood, his cobalt-white head and coal-black feathers almost glowing in the Kentucky sunshine. Fourteen years later, I still consider that bird the epitome of gobbler perfection.

Trouble was, he was in the middle of a damnable field, following umpteen hens as they did their random early-morning turkey thing. My friend and I weren't going to call in this turkey. We couldn't crawl on him, either.

Some options were available, though. The breeding flock was at the opposite end of the large rectangular field, but the birds were slowly heading toward our side of the opening.

"If they keep coming this way, we might have a crack at them," I whispered. "We can find a good setup and wait them out."

My friend nodded but seemed skeptical.

"If we slip closer, we'd be in good position if they duck into the woods on this side," he said. "There's enough timber to slip within 60 to 70 yards of them."

True enough. But who could predict what the birds would do? And if we chose the wrong option, the morning would be finished.

What would you have done? Post your decision below.

Click here for Lovett's decision.

Click here to get the best deer hunting shot simulator ever created.

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: Decision Time: Elysium

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 22nd, 2010, 12:01 pm

I would try to slip through the wood and get closer. I've been in this exact situation more time then you could shake a stick at. If they entered the field from the other end, then I'd slip around and get set up half way down the field. Even if they pass you by, more times then not that Tom will go to the end and not leave the field, then start working his way back along the edge of the field back to where he came from to see if he missed any hens that stayed behind.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » December 23rd, 2010, 4:51 am

This is almost a coin toss situtation for me.

It would depend on just how big the field was and if they really looked like they were moving steady enough in my direction.

If it's a smaller to moderate field I'd consider the sit and wait.

If it's a large field,..well anything can happen and they can turn and leave in any direction

I always like to get as close as I can so the creep to the woods and 60-70 yards with hopes of pulling him withinn range sounds inviting.

Since you used the word "large", I'd move into the wood lot.
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

TeocTom

Postby TeocTom » January 13th, 2011, 4:58 pm

If there was a lot of timber between me and the birds I would slip as close as I could.
If you take the risk and circle the field to repostion, there is a possibility that you could bump other birds that you may not be able to see or know were there.
At least you know what is in front of you and you can work with that. Slipping in closer may not be as risky.

Return to Decision Time