Conclusion: Black Locust

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » July 24th, 2012, 9:52 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

The problem with big moves is that they require big movements. The topography at Black Locust was relatively flat, and I wasn't 100 percent sure we could backtrack to the timber and get around on the birds. Further, they had gone back and forth in the field for more than an hour, and there was at least a good chance they'd do so again.

So we waited. And after about 15 minutes, one of the hens looped around the group and began feeding toward us. Within minutes, the flock was headed toward us. And 10 minutes later, the strutter stood 35 steps away.

His hens scattered and flew at the gunshot, but they'd be OK. He, on the other hand, had contracted copper beak disease.

It had been a great hunt with a calculated gamble that paid off. I was ready to celebrate ... as soon as my buddy helped me up off the ground.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Need a great wild-game grilling cookbook? Check this out!

Return to Decision Time