Conclusion: There and Back Again

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » July 17th, 2012, 1:02 pm

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

I had much more faith in my ability to slip close to the gobbling bird and yelp him in than I did sitting underneath what were unidentified and probably spooked turkeys. I vowed to move.

When I stood, the jake started putting but didn't flush. As I walked away, the other turkeys started getting nervous. One flushed and flew out of sight. Another pitched down about 40 steps away and walked back and forth nervously. A previously unseen turkey sailed to the same spot. They were both jakes.

I would have felt smug about my decision, but I still had a turkey to kill. Thankfully, I managed to slip to the edge of the stubble field, find a decent tree and call the bird in within five minutes. The plan had actually come together. And with all the jakes in the area, I felt pretty good about future hunts in that spot, too.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Clear that brush away from your setup with this essential turkey hunting tool!

Return to Decision Time