Decision Time: Chasing a Trail of Smoke and Reason

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Decision Time: Chasing a Trail of Smoke and Reason

Postby Brian Lovett » July 9th, 2012, 3:25 pm

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett will share a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Chasing a Trail of Smoke and Reason

One perfect May morning, a buddy and I were facing down my favorite turkey: a late-season Wisconsin longbeard that acted like he hadn't seen a hen in a fortnight.

The exchange went something like this. Tree yelp: gobble. Tree cluck: frenzied gobbling. (Pause for flydown.) Soft yelping: screaming, ear-splitting gobbling.

From that, we can deduce two things: 1) Lovett had again fallen in love with his calling, and 2) that bird would soon be as dead as fried chicken.

But one never came to pass. (Don't worry. I was still in love with my calling.) The gobbler rushed across a field and stopped at the base of the small ridge where my buddy and I were set up. Then he planted his feet and gobbled his head off.

"Is there a fence down there?" I whispered to my friend, who owned the land.

"Yep, an electric cattle fence, but they cross it all the time," he replied.

"We need to get down there with him," I said.

"I'm telling you, they cross it all the time," he said emphatically.

I was unconvinced and longed to move. But did I call the shot or defer to my landowner buddy?

What would you have done? Post your decision below.

Click here for Lovett's decision.

Need a simple yet effective call? Here's our pick!

kygobbler

Re: Decision Time: Chasing a Trail of Smoke and Reason

Postby kygobbler » July 9th, 2012, 8:41 pm

I would listen to your friend and wait the gobbler out for about 30 to 45 mins. If the gobbler hasnt come in and is staying firm on his side of the fence then I would try and sneak down to where he is.

Bobbyparks

Re: Decision Time: Chasing a Trail of Smoke and Reason

Postby Bobbyparks » July 11th, 2012, 4:59 pm

Realizng that your host knows his birds ...and that they do probably cross the fense all the time.........as they do sloughs, creeks and fences where I hunt here at home.........The exception being when I'm calling to them

I'd assume this applies in all the cases unless its one wherer I'm calling to them

Because hes hot it might be worth giving the situation a liitle more time............. but in this case...

I'd be afraid he would not cross...and might cool down if too much time elapses......

So...if hes gobbling enough to keep up with and the terrain allows a move closer......especially if it allows for you to manuever within range of the fence even if its down from where he is....I'd make the aggressive move and go for it......and get within range..or call him down the fence...or meet him halfaway...

BOTTOM LINE is I'd go for broke
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Return to Decision Time