Conclusion: Tussle With Russell

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » December 15th, 2010, 5:37 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

There was no choice. If I didn't try to get on those gobblers immediately, they'd be gone in a heartbeat.

There was an x-factor, however. Remember that 25-mph wind? It had everything in that sparse woods blowing back and forth like a carnival ride. I waited until the lead longbeard's head poked behind the only tree on the knob and then shouldered my gun. The trailing bird caught the movement, of course, but with the entire woods in tumult, he wasn't quite sure what he'd seen.

Before he could decide, the red-dot found his neck, and my first Missouri gobbler was flopping next to the decoys.

I've tried to make that move several times in the 15 years since that hunt, and it usually results in lots of putting and some cussing. Maybe Russell was a good luck charm. Or perhaps I'd just been fortunate that the circumstances were perfect that breezy Missouri day.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get your 2011 Deer & Deer Hunting Whitetail Calendar!

TeocTom

RE: Conclusion: Tussle With Russell

Postby TeocTom » January 13th, 2011, 5:08 pm

Awesome! I would have froze up. Sometimes that 25 mph wind pays off!

dewey

RE: Conclusion: Tussle With Russell

Postby dewey » January 26th, 2011, 10:05 am

Like Brian said the wind probably made the turkeys less alerted at the movement where on a still day they are gone. I have had a similar situation before and 3 toms were 10 yards from me and I was waiting for them to move apart just far enough to shoot (only 1 tag) the biggest of the three. I move a little bit here and there but they were so intrigued by the decoy I think they almost ignored me.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Return to Decision Time