Conclusion: Disconnect at Dead Dog Ridge

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » June 27th, 2012, 11:12 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Not wanting to create any more commotion than necessary at the shooter's setup, I opted to slowly crawl away, yelping and cutting excitedly as I went. When I'd covered about 80 yards, I shut up and paused by a tree to see what would happen.

The turkey had stopped gobbling, which made me wonder if he was approaching or had boogered. But when a gunshot punctuated the warm air a few minutes later, I knew it was the former.

I rose and walked toward my buddies, one of whom was holding his first Missouri gobbler. Apparently, a minute or two after I'd started crawling away, the turkey had walked up to a logging road and then sprinted right to the gun.

Hey, sometimes you get one that acts like he's read the playbook — even at a less-than-classic spot like Dead Dog Ridge.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Want more "Decision Time?" Click here!

Return to Decision Time