Conclusion: The Hilltop Hole

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » May 23rd, 2012, 11:38 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Unconvinced the decoy wouldn’t just hang the birds up in the neighboring woods, I chose Option A and backed up about 30 yards down the hill, putting a small terrain rise between us. If the turkeys were hot enough, they’d go to the rise and look for the hen.

When I sat and called, the birds gobbled right at the wood line. Soon, their drumming told me they were headed left. Seconds later, I saw two white heads pop up over the rise, screened by brush. I had to ease my gun to the left, and one of the birds caught the movement. However, it was too late. I picked a spot in the woods and shot the trailing bird as he turned to leave.

It had been a great flash hunt. Would that tactic always work? Probably not. But on that day, Temptation Corner didn’t get the better of me.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Want more "Decision Time?" Click here!

Return to Decision Time