Decision Time: Hot Ham Dinner

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Decision Time: Hot Ham Dinner

Postby Brian Lovett » April 26th, 2012, 8:42 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett will share a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Hot Ham Dinner

What a week. I’d experienced 8 inches of fresh snow, a day with ice, two days with rain and now a windy, miserable final day of my Wisconsin season. Needless to say, I hadn’t tagged a bird.

Oh, I’d worked a few and had even come whisker-close a couple of times. However, as you know, that doesn’t mean much when you’re in the turkey-dinner business. I’d hunted every property on which I had permission except one, and I wasn’t very excited about going there, as it was more of a late-season spot.

Further, it was Easter Sunday, and I had to quit early and return home for brunch. Family is more important than a turkey, after all. I’d actually missed Easter while on a hunting trip one year, and I swore I’d never do it again.

So at 8 a.m., I rose from yet another doomed setup and mulled my fate. After four-plus days of tough hunting, and with prospects looking even gloomier, a wise man would have packed away his yelper and enjoyed Easter. There was time for one brief setup at the sole unhunted property, but I doubted that would turn the tide.

Faced with the prospect of a cold hunt or a hot dinner, I had to choose.

What would you have done? Post your decision below.

Click here for Lovett's decision.

Click here to get exclusive information on the best turkey guns, loads and chokes.

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Decision Time: Hot Ham Dinner

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 28th, 2012, 12:31 am

Well me being me, you'd know where I'd be, even if it's a slight chance :mrgreen: .

:shock: Alright which one of you Easter Bunnies threw that hard boiled egg at me :twisted: . :roll:
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Myakka Chuck

Postby Myakka Chuck » April 28th, 2012, 1:19 pm

Turkey hunters being the hard huntin' hard-headed bunch that we are, it is sometimes tough to know when to fold 'em. But, as you rightly noted, Brian, family IS more important than turkey hunting, and you have already promised yourself you would not miss another one. I spent one Easter turkey hunting but I took the family with me, and even that made me feel a little guilty because we missed church. On the other hand, I feel closest to my creator when I'm in the spring turkey woods right before flydown. I hope you decided discretion is the better part of valor especially since you had another opportunity, and probably many more than that, to knock your head up against that frustration wall we call turkey hunting before your season is over. Another option would be to head home for dinner, spend some time with the family, and go back for a late afternoon hunt.

Mailman

Postby Mailman » April 30th, 2012, 1:37 pm

Family is important. But usually you cant shoot a turkey sitting at the kitchen table. (not without some one getting upset any how)

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » May 3rd, 2012, 3:46 pm

Funny thing about turkey hunting is things can change from bad to good in a matter of seconds...and theres such a thing called a Microwave :)

Sometimes its that one more push you make or that one last series of calls you make before you get up from an uneventful day that turns the tide

and being delusional enough to always think theres still one more chance ..............works in our favor

So my guess is here that you made that one last effort ....whether you killed him or not...it was the right thing to do...and knowing you...you killed him
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

dewey

Postby dewey » May 4th, 2012, 9:08 pm

I think I would have to call it a season and go spend some quality time with the family. After all in WI you can just buy a tag for the next season and go all over again.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Return to Decision Time