Conclusion: A Hard Road

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » June 29th, 2011, 10:17 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

I hadn't called to the bird since he answered my yelps, so we had no clear indication that he was coming. Further, we hadn't fired him up too much yet. With that in mind, my buddy and I left the busy roadway and jogged to the pines. I'd much rather push the envelope than wait for disaster to unfold.

We didn't see or spook the bird on our approach, so I set up quickly and readied my call. When the longbeard cut off my first series of yelps, I felt very good about our move. And when a hen and two gobblers emerged from around the corner and walked steadily to within 25 yards of our decoys, I felt even better.

After the shot, my buddy and I congratulated each other on the great flash-hunt and our perfectly executed move. Maybe I even have let out a war-whoop. Heck, if you were driving on that county highway, you might have heard it.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get the jump on pressured bucks this fall.

SpitnDrum

RE: Conclusion: A Hard Road

Postby SpitnDrum » June 29th, 2011, 10:43 am

[hr]
Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

Return to Decision Time