Decision Time: Pasture Blaster

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Decision Time: Pasture Blaster

Postby Brian Lovett » April 5th, 2012, 8:22 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett will share a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Pasture Blaster

Lying prone in the midmorning Florida sun, I was drenched with sweat and almost ready to pass out. My neck felt like someone had stepped on it, and I didn’t want to know what was crawling up my back. I was pretty sure my vest was caught on several thorns — at least I hoped they were thorns.

Pretty standard stuff, really.

How did I get into that mess at the brushy edge of a large Florida cattle pasture? A bunch of turkeys, of course. Specifically, three or four longbeards with a huge wad of hens. The birds had been out of sight to my left when I’d eased to the pasture edge to look at them. My friends and I had already determined that they wouldn’t gobble or otherwise react to calling, but the strutters were drumming enough that I could follow their movements somewhat.

But that was the problem. Most of the birds were still over a small rise and obscured by brush to my left, probably about 100 yards away. There was no guarantee they’d come close enough for a shot. In fact, it was more likely that they’d ease back toward the center of the large field.

Decision time: Should I wait at my uncomfortable ambush site and hope the turkeys drifted toward me? Or would it be wiser to risk bumping the birds by backing out, easing closer to them along the brushy field edge and trying to find a better setup?

What would you have done? Post your decision below.

Click here for Lovett's decision.

Click here to get ready for the season with your Spring Gobbler Hunter's Value Pack!

Cut N Run

Re: Decision Time: Pasture Blaster

Postby Cut N Run » April 5th, 2012, 12:06 pm

If there was enough of a rise between you & the birds, I'd suggest using the rise for cover so you could make a move toward better cover and perhaps some shade (maybe a big ol' fire ant hill :shock: ). Those turkeys could probably move in almost any direction and get away. From better cover you could at least see which direction they were moving & possibly get out ahead of the flock for a shot.

There's a lot of eyes in a group of turkeys that big, so careful movement is mandatory. Oh, and be careful you don't crawl through any brown mines the cattle may have laid out...just sayin'

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » April 5th, 2012, 2:58 pm

if u could get to cover without being spotted then do it. if not then stay still and let them move out to the center of the field and re-setup in front of the birds
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » April 5th, 2012, 7:16 pm

Go for it. I you bump them try to scatter them like you would in the fall.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Return to Decision Time