Conclusion: Deja Voodoo

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » January 9th, 2013, 11:53 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Hey, why make turkey hunting harder than it already is? The bird was gobbling, and he was where I could approach and work him. It had worked once that season, and nothing indicated it wouldn't work again.

Just like a week earlier, I dropped off the hill, circled to the crest of the ridge, slipped into a likely setup, let the woods calm down and then yelped softly. The turkey gobbled, and the game was on. Unbelievably, like the earlier bird, this turkey didn't go bonkers for calling but instead seemed to move closer when I gave him good doses of silence. And also unbelievably, just like the week before, the gobbler was flopping after about an hour.

OK, sure, it wasn't identical. This bird died at 40 steps instead of 15. I wasn't about to let him get to that damned hole. Hey, it was deja vu, not Groundhog Day.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Need a great cookbook? Look no farther!

Gobblerman

Re: Conclusion: Deja Voodoo

Postby Gobblerman » January 11th, 2013, 8:40 am

"...It was deja vu, not Groundhog Day".....Haahaa! Good one!

Return to Decision Time