what....

What's in your collection? What's it worth?
trkyklr

what....

Postby trkyklr » November 26th, 2008, 11:57 am

besides calls what do ya'll folks collect?baseball cards,eggs,cars?me i collect just about anything with a turkey on it,2$ bills,bicentenial quarters & oh yeah beards

NEbeardhunter21

RE: what....

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » November 26th, 2008, 6:02 pm

I used to have a nice collection of shot glasses, around 100. I moved a couple of times within a short period of time and got sick of packing them up and sold most of them. I've still got 20 or so of the ones that are important to me. I now have a growing collection of hockey items especially Chicago Blackhawks.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 30th, 2008, 4:32 am

spent shotshells from turkeys missed and killed.they stand on a shelf with the metal tag and / or paper tag stickin' out of it . the tags all have the year which allows me to grab one and flash back to an exciting hunt whether i rolled his head or shot a hole in the sky.
used to collect whistle pig encisers,,, still lookin' for the one with a gene defect that makes his big front teeth grow too fast. first seen one in OUTDOOR LIFE back in the late 60's or early 70's. friend of mine has one he found outside a den ,,, it makes more than a full curl,,,and a fine hat ornament.
mostly though it is memories i collect,,,, i record every detail of every outing ,,,,that is , every detail i can recall, and lately i have trouble remembering to write it down . i love gettin' old.

SamuraiTater

Postby SamuraiTater » December 24th, 2008, 5:33 pm

I collect glassware for consuming barley-pop.  At the tender age of 18 I got turned on to good bavarian hefe-weizen and I pretty much evolved into a beer snob from that point.  My parents had sent me over to the local military post to pick up some soldier and give him a ride to our church, but we had several hours to kill first.  We were wasting time in a large shopping mall and as we walked past a delicatsen and pub that served many imported beers, he asked if I was a beer drinker.  As any kid who'd just turned legal age would, I affirmed that I was indeed a beer drinker and we went inside for a frosty one.  I was figuring on sitting at the bar and legally ordering a Budweiser for the first time in my life, but he offered to get the first round and ordered up a couple of German hefe-weizens.  I said, "Wow !  That's good !  That don't taste nothin' like a beer, but that's really good !"  He replied, "You've just never had a beer before."

He was right.  Soon thereafter, he got the orders he wanted and was gone to Hawaii.  Meanwhile, I would return to that same establishment and sample just about everything else they had on the beer menu.  Didn't take me long to figure out on my own that there is more to beer drinking than simply passing alcohol to the brain without the intervention of taste.  There are almost too many styles of beer to keep track of and there are scarce few I have not tried.  I'd say I like most all of them from the European pilsners/lagers, to the hoppiest of American pale ales, to brown ales, Belgian strongs and the darkest of porters, stouts and barley-wines.

...And with such appreciation for good beer comes a desire to collect the appropriate glassware.  If I kept all the glasses I ever owned, I'd probably have well over 200.  As it stands I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 125 - 150.  ....But none are generic.  They're all either specific to a particular brand such Kostritzer, Orval, or Hoegaarden.  Or else they have some sentimental value such as being from a particular pub (and labeled as such) in some corner of the world, that I tied one on in when I was a sailor.

The wife seems irritated sometimes by my obsession, but I did the smart thing years ago and I encouraged her in her own obsession, dish collecting.  She's got two large cabinets full of really nice stuff she found when we lived in Italy and Japan.   ....So she doesn't have much room to tell me to get my hobby under control. [:D]

BTW, I also homebrew beer....been doing that for about a decade.  If you think you like the tase of beer, find someone who brews and offer to assist them one day in the process.  Once you see what goes into it, it cues something in your brain and your taste buds seem to become more sensitive.  Or maybe it's just that you pay detailed attention to what hits your tongue once you know what's in it.

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » January 28th, 2009, 2:35 pm

I collect turkey pictures and turkey hats
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 28th, 2009, 2:48 pm

I'am collecting dust along with my turkey calls, can't wait till the season gets here!

misfire

Postby misfire » December 14th, 2010, 5:04 pm

Old coins, especially nickels

lonnielou688

Re: what....

Postby lonnielou688 » February 6th, 2013, 9:43 pm

wood carvings and wood decoys, lynch paperwork and lynch records, johnny stewart records and calls, turkey books and turkey business cards .

Return to Miscellaneous Turkey Collectibles