My Opening

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: My Opening

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 12th, 2014, 1:26 pm

Thanks guys.
Yes Jim, I have two weeks left to try to roll the BOSS, this weeks tag is for unit 2, but if I can get a bird early enough, I'll get another unit 3 tag and go after him, or go after him next week?

:lol: that's what my youth hunter said also Bryan, she even brought me a Green Cup for my ice tea :lol: . She said as long as you look like him, you have to have the right colored cup :P . She was a blast to hunt with this year and she'll be back again next the couple years. Her and her brother only live about a block from me, and they've been over a few times to see what they can learn about turkey hunting. If they wouldn't of been in school these weeks, I've of had them along to learn that turkey hunting isn't as easy as they see on those DVD's. They already know that they have calls coming for them to use in the fall seasons and next spring, so they stop over and have been learning calling.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 15th, 2014, 6:13 pm

Unit 2, 5th season. I was out the door at 4am in in my set-up at 4:30, it started out as a good morning. The boss started gobbling at 4:55, he was about 500 yards from where I was set-up straight in front of me, there was a bird gobbling behind me in the woods, he was about 200 yards in, there was a bird to my right, down by the river gobbling, and there were 3 across the road gobbling. One of the birds across the road was cutting me off every time I touched the call, so I stayed put. Fly down he was still answering my calls, I'd cutt at him and he'd double gobble closer each time, but I still couldn't see him. He was in a dirt field and I was in a hay field on the other side of the road. A hen crossed the road and came down to me, but the gobbler wasn't following her? She came down to my decoys and started fighting purrs, so I gave her a good argument, we spent almost 15 minutes purring back n forth at each other, she finally went passed me into the woods, but the gobbler never showed. Shortly after the rain started, I had no rain gear, so I packed up and headed out. I waited in the truck for 2 hours, but it never did quit raining. I decided to wait until the morning to go back after him, problem is I had no idea where he went?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 15th, 2014, 7:33 pm

Day 2.
The weather was bad, but was supposed to get better by mid morning. It started raining about the time I got set up, just a drizzle. I knew where the boss was roosted, at least hoped so, so I went to the other side of the public along the private corn fields fence line and in the corner of the publics corn field. At 5:10 the boss gobbled once, I cut him off with soft cutts and put the call away. He was about 200 yards up the edge of the private woods. I saw him fly down into the corn, a hen flew down by him and he chased her back into the woods. No other gobbling was heard. I waited about two hours before I made my second call, the rain had quit and it was staring to get lighter as the clouds were breaking up, I grabbed my box and ran a assembly call, nothing? The clouds broke and the sun was peeking through, it stated to get warm real fast. I shed my rain gear and my jacket, and dug out my teaser and ran a lost kee kee. He fired back at me with a double gobble at about 80 yards, he broke out into the corn and was headed my way down the edge of the woods, I started whining and purring at him and he kept on coming. He was getting to the fence line and four Jakes come running out of the woods after him. I thought damn this is going to be a repeat of my 3rd season. They ran him back into the woods. It was now 9:30, I packed up and moved away about a 150 yards down the edge of the publics corn to where the woods start, found a good tree and set up. With the sun shining on me it felt nice, and I dozed off. I woke back up at noon, nuttin like a two hour nap. I grabbed my old hen decoy out of my vest and put her out in the corn, sat back down and started to eat lunch. Finished lunch and pulled my teaser back out and ran some cutts and yelps, nothing. I waited and ran a lost kee kee again, he gobbled in the woods behind me close, I started whining and chirping at him and he gobbled again, he was coming to my right side, I slid my gun up on my knees and laid the stock on my shoulder, so I could keep calling. I kept watching to my right and figured he's step out into the corn? I whined again and nothing? I slowly moved my head back to look at the decoy and he was standing at 15 yards to my left looking at me. Good thing there was a slight breeze blowing because he started looking at the hen when she moved and took his eyes off me. I dropped the call and grabbed the gun off my shoulder and put the bead on his head and squeezed. The sound of the gun was followed by him rolling over twice, as he lay there the four Jakes come running out of the woods at him. I stood up and they beat a$$ across the field and back into the private woods to chase another tom around. I checked my watch and low and behold it was 1:30 PM. It took me 30 Years to FINALLY KILL a Spring Gobbler in the Afternoon, the Good Lord knows I've tried many a day to do so, but it finally happed after 30 years of chasing these danged things.
Attachments
5-15-2014-2.jpg
5-15-2014-2.jpg (107.45 KiB) Viewed 171 times
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 15th, 2014, 9:27 pm

Scott, I am truly excited for two things 1. You was able to succeed on getting the bird that you have been challenging for the last few weeks. 2. You were able to get your first afternoon gobbler. I'm rather in shock that it only took you 30 years but I'm sure the next one won't take as long.

Congratulations on a very special bird and I like the paintbrush he is packing.
Is it turkey season yet?

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » May 16th, 2014, 8:48 pm

That's awesome Scott,he's a big ole boy, I too like that thick beard, very nice ! Congrats on finally showing the boss who's boss ;)
David

You never know, unless you go

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » May 20th, 2014, 10:49 am

Congrats on a PM bird.
I always enjoy the morning hunts best, but when traveling to other states, make use of the afternoon hunts!! ;)
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

TurkeyJohn

Postby TurkeyJohn » May 20th, 2014, 2:39 pm

Way to go Mr. Scott,

At long last, wish it were me this year. Had to settle for Jakes, don't think I have your patience my friend,

TurkeyJohn
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 21st, 2014, 6:13 am

Congratulations Scott. Hunting older, more experienced birds well into the season definitely requires tons of patience. Glad to hear your afternoon hunt finally paid off. That's a dandy looking gobbler. Way to go.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Previous

Return to Team 5