My Opening

TurkeyJohn

Re: My Opening

Postby TurkeyJohn » May 8th, 2014, 2:37 pm

Stay at it Scott,

Would love to hear that you've bagged the Boss. Lord knows, he deserves it for the frustration. Why is it we like turkey hunting again?? Almost like junkies I think.

Good luck tomorrow,

TurkeyJohn
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 8th, 2014, 10:23 pm

Hang in there Scott. I have no doubt you will have one soon.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 11th, 2014, 8:46 am

Saturday, it was a great morning, slight west wind about 5mph, and I went back in to the hen roosting area. Got in there well before daylight, found a good blown down tree to set up by. I dug out my teaser, my glass, and my box call. I sat with my teaser in hand waiting for the boss to sound off. At 5:00 he sent out the first gobble of the morning, I cut him off with some aggressive cutts. He was a long ways off, clean over on the next farm west of where he usually roosted. He didn't respond, figured he couldn't hear me at that range, another bird responded that was closer, but north of me, about a 1/4 mile. The boss sounded off again, and this time I cut him off with my box call, he responded to that with a double gobble, and I cut him off again with a series of yelps. The bird to my north was going ape in the tree, he was double gobbling to every call I made, but he wasn't the boss bird. I stayed quiet until the boss sounded off as he left the tree, I counted to 10 and hit him with a sharp series of cutts and cackles on the box. he responded again , this time closer, so he had flown down my way, so did the bird to the north, he was with in 200yds. The bird to the north was coming down my side of the corn, the boss was coming straight at me from the other side of the woods he usually roosts in. I could see the northern bird as he was slowly working down my side, in and out of the pine row. The boss was coming faster, he was now in the middle of the woods across the corn. Every time he gobbled I cut him off with the box call, and he was liking it, so I stayed with it. He entered the corn north of me, the same place he always went into the woods. I started to cluck and purr of the box and he kept coming on a string. He was about 80yds out and headed right into my lap. As he reached 60yds, a damn coyote busts out the woods running after him. He takes flight, and sails over my head and across the road into the public where I used to set up, the coyote stands there looking and turns and runs back into the woods. I packed up my stuff and beat it across the road as quick as I could to try to see which section the boss went into, and to see if I could get him to respond to a call? I know that area well, and know where the birds travel and where they hang over there. I get back to the truck, jump in and go a mile down the road to the parking lot. Grabbed my stuff and crawled hands and knees down to the edge of the woods across that burned off area. I didn't want to run down there with that bird being spooked already, and not sure just where that bird was? I crawled up to my tree and sent out a soft series of yelps, nothing? I waited a few minutes and called again a little more aggressive, still nothing? I waited an hour and sent out a few yelps with the box call, not a word from the boss. It was now 9:30, I decided to go get some breakfast and give him some time to settle down. I get back there at 11:30 and eased back down to my tree, glassing as I slowly made my way to it. I worked that burned area the rest of the day and never heard or seen the boss. I had two hens come into my calling, but no toms followed. At the end of the day I started doing Charlie's call baiting strategy, and let that area until the morning.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 11th, 2014, 9:26 am

This morning, I decided to go to the back corner of the burned area to a tree I've sat by before, the birds like to enter the field from that corner and they roost down there. I get in and set up well before daylight. As it starts getting light, the boss sounds off a 150yds up the edge of the woods towards the road, and he's right on the edge. I hit him the same as I did Sat. he'd gobble I'd cut him off, I can see him in the tree. Another bird gobbles from in the woods, could be his buddy? Our convocation carries on until the boss glides out of the tree across the burned field to the tree I sat by last night doing the baiting calls. As soon as he hits the ground, I grabbed the box and started cutting at him. He double gobbles back, and I thought, OK we're in business. He goes down the edge of the woods and turns in on the deer trail that they usually come out of if they're roosted in that woods, the next time he gobbles, he's about half way through that little woods headed north to the other area that I found the nested hens in. I started packing up quick and I know where he's headed too. I was just about ready to stand up and leave, when his buddy gobbles just to my left. I hadn't put my teaser back into my vest yet, so I grabbed it and sent out a cluck and purr, he double gobbles and I can see him moving through the small trees to the burned field. He enters the field at about 30yds up the edge, and I draw a bead on his noggin and squeeze off a shot. He rolls over and is kicking with one leg. It's not the BOSS, but that dang bird has beaten me up for that last two weeks, and I'm getting tired of it. Hunting one particular bird and only one bird is a whole new adventure to turkey hunting.
This bird is a good bird also. He weighed in at 26.8, and he's got a 11" beard, with a 1" left spur and a 1-1/8" right. I'm more than happy with him.
The BOSS still lives another day......again!!
Attachments
5-11-14.jpg
5-11-14.jpg (121.94 KiB) Viewed 83 times
Last edited by WillowRidgeCalls on May 11th, 2014, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » May 11th, 2014, 10:24 am

Congrats on a dandy tom and who needs the BOSS, when you can get one as nice as that!!!! ;)
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 11th, 2014, 4:23 pm

that's a dandy Scott! I agree it was time to put one on the ground. You've still got 2 weeks to go after the boss. Hopefully he will be a little more cooperative once those hens start sitting.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 11th, 2014, 8:25 pm

Congratulations Scott. That's a fine gobbler. Way to be persistent. Nicely played.
Will you get the chance to go after the Boss again?

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » May 11th, 2014, 8:32 pm

Wow, maybe not the boss, but definitely a hoss, 26 lbs, that's a bigun, congrats, glad you finally got one of em, good luck when you head back out.....
David

You never know, unless you go

eggshell

Postby eggshell » May 12th, 2014, 4:59 am

Scott, nice bird. It always is good to break the ice and put one in the dirt. Now your all tuned up to smack the old boy in the beak
!
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 12th, 2014, 12:09 pm

Scott is that you in the pic or Sid Robertson? :lol: Nice job on getting the bird and being persistant. I hope to see pics of the BOSS soon.

PreviousNext

Return to Team 5