My Opening

kygobbler

Re: My Opening

Postby kygobbler » May 2nd, 2014, 9:42 pm

I have no doubt you will call in that boss gobbler here shortly.

I hope I didn't come off wrong about the safety. It surprises me how many hunters only use the one finger method regardless of the situation because of habit.
Is it turkey season yet?

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » May 3rd, 2014, 2:25 am

Go git' em' .. it's just the timeing!! :lol:
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 3rd, 2014, 7:53 pm

Well another day and another beating by that dirty bugger. That's three days of getting my butt kick by that old bird, but his time is coming. It finally was a nice day out there, bright sunny morning with only a slight breeze. The birds were gobbling good, I had four birds gobbling, all four were across the corn field. The boss did what he usually does on the roost, first to gobble and then gobble again as he left the roost, the other three were gobbling quite often, back and forth at each other. I was ready and waiting for that boss to open his yap this morning, with my teaser in hand. When he sounded off, I cut him off with some light cutts, and waited to hear him again, and did the same to him on his second gobble, ignoring the other birds gobbling. I watched him fly out into the corn field and hit him with a angry set of cutts when he hit the ground. He went right into strut, and started heading my way gobbling. There was three hens roosted of to my left and they flew down as he was getting closer. That corn field is about 150yds wide, and he was crossing it pretty fast, he'd gobble and I'd cut him off. He went right by those three hens and kept on coming on a string, two of the hens followed him and the other stayed were she was. As they got with in 75yds the two hen went back into the woods, but the gobbler kept coming. He was with in 50yds of me and for some reason he took to flight and landed in a tree 30yds in front of me. Then the two hens flew up into a tree just inside the woods edge. Not sure just what the reason was why they did that? I kept watching for a yote or something that spooked them to show, but nothing did? The boss sat up there keeing and then started to gobble, I would cluck and purr, he'd gobble. This went on for about 15 minutes, I had a lone hen decoy set out between me and him, I thought this will work out great, he'll fly down to that decoy, instead he flys down back into the corn field to the right of me. I switched calls and went to a glass call and gave him one yelp and started hard cutting at him, nothing, dead quiet, I couldn't see where he flew down to because of the pines. I waited a few minutes and started cluck and purring again and kept my eyes glued to the right. Another bird started gobbling in front of me and was getting closer in the corn field, but no sign of the boss? I started working the new bird, I switched back to mu teaser and was giving him some pleading yelps and purrs, he was coming. I eased my gun up to me knees and pointed it at the fence line where he'd have to get through the fence. I clicked the safety off and drew a bead on the bird coming in. I was set up 28 steps from the fence line. As the bird was just about ready to cross it, suddenly a gut growling Putt explodes to my right, followed by a bird busting into flight, you guessed it, Mr. boss boy snuck through the pines and was standing at 18yds watching me. As he busted so did the bird in front of me, they both flew out into the corn field and was soon joined by the two hens from the other tree. Soon the Jake gang came running into the field and went after them, the new bird took off running back to the woods with the Jakes in tow, they tried the boss but he turned toward them and they took off after the new bird, which left the boss and two hen in the field by them selves. He bred both the hens and they went back into the woods. The boss stayed strutting in the field till almost 10:00 before he went into the woods. I stayed until 2:30, there was one gun shot in the woods about 11:00. Don't know if the boss is still there or if he's became freezer meat? Tomorrows another day and we'll see who is left? I hope it wasn't the boss shot, I've got a bone to pick with that bird, this makes three days he's beat me out of filling a tag :? .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » May 3rd, 2014, 9:10 pm

Dang it, I hope you get him tomorrow, tho I will admit I will miss the stories, good luck brother.....
David

You never know, unless you go

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 3rd, 2014, 9:45 pm

You sure are persistent Scott. I probably would have moved on 2 days ago :lol:

Keep after him, he'll make a mistake sooner or later.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 4th, 2014, 8:36 pm

Well I sat from 5am to 4pm today and watched the turkey races, every time I thought about getting up to move another bird would show up in the corn. They were gobbling up a storm this morning. The big boy is still there and so is his buddy, they were across the field from me, there was a bird on the right end of it gobbling, there was two on the left end gobbling, one across the road in the public, and one on the private, the private bird was screaming until a shot rang out. The Jake gang showed up again, only this time there was only four birds, the no bearded one wasn't with them, that may have been what the shot was across the field yesterday? They came into the field about 8am and went over to the public across the road about an hour later there was a shot over there, about noon three Jakes came back from across the road, so it looks like that's what the shot was? Big boy and his buddy spent the day in the field chasing hens around, it started with five hens and ended with one. They would strut in the corn until a hen showed up then chase her all over the field and into the woods on the other side. Then about 2 hours later they come back and do it all over again, they did that from fly down until I left. I through everything possible at them, except a live hen, and that's what I needed. They would answer my calls and start to head my way, then a hen or hens would show up and off they'd go again. You could almost set your watch by them, every two hours, here they come back into the field, strut for 30 minutes and off they'd go after another hen. I learn exactly what tree they went into the woods by and what fence post they cam back into the field by. Now if I could hunt that field it sure would be great. I did find out who owns it and stopped after I quit to talk with the farmer, but no dice, he doesn't let people hunt his land. He's a turkey hunter also and so is his wife, he didn't get a bird the first season and his wife's tag is the 4th season, wouldn't take long to fill that tag. We sat and shot the beans for about an hour, he said the DNR burned that nesting area 2 days before the youth weekend. Oh well, back after them again tomorrow.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 7th, 2014, 9:17 am

Sorry boys, it taken me a couple days to post again. Back to Mondays hunt. Sunday there was 6 gobblers gobbling on the roost and saw birds all day long. Monday I only heard 2 birds gobbling on the roost. They both came to the corn and was joined by the same 5 hens, they spent an hour in the field, before splitting up. The boss took 4 hens into the south end of the field, there is a small pond in there with high grass around it that the hens use for nesting, and his buddy took 1 hen back into the woods on the other side on the other side of the corn. I could only hunt till noon and didn't see or hear another bird the rest of the hunt. Yesterday I sat from dawn to dusk, it was a windy day with the wind out of the east blowing to the corn, so no problem with the birds hearing my calling. The only bird I heard on the roost was the boss, he sounded off at daybreak, one gobble. He entered the corn on the southwest end of the field alone, and stayed there for about 20 minutes strutting. I gave him a flydown cackle and some soft cuts on my glass call, and he cut me off every time I'd call. He was hot and looking, he came my way about a 100yds and cut in to the pond to the nesting area on the south end. I gave him a few minutes and grabbed my tongue call and moved up the fence 60yds to the area that the hens have been roosted in the last few days. I got set up there and sent out some soft yelps, he cut me off again double gobbling, I cut him off with some cutts and then went to some purrs and whines, he triple gobbled at those, I waited a few minutes and sent him a soft yelp and purrs, he again cut me off, he was headed my way. He came up on the ridge where I was set up on, he was out about 50yds and was looking that ridge over carefully, I sent some soft purrs and he answered with a double gobble. He started to circle to my right along the ridge top between were I was set up and were I'm now set up. He got between my two set ups and stared gobbling like a fool, every two minutes, I'd whine and purr, he'd double gobble. He was at about 30yds, but with all the small brush and blow downs, no shot was presented, he needed to come around the end of that blown down tree to be able to take a clean shot at him. Instead he dropped over the ridge to my old set up, and passed that and back into the corn field. Damn one lousy tree trunk saved his butt, I could see his fan over it, but not his head, if he'd of peeked over it, he'd of got a load to no.5's in his face. I snuck back down to where I was set up and stayed put the rest of the day. I knew he was there some place? A hen came out into the corn from where they always enter the field at 11:00, and she feed for about an hour and went back in to the pond area to get back on her nest. He entered the corn about half way up the field and worked back down to the south end at 3:30, and went back in there he came out of that morning. Two Jakes entered the field from where the boss had come out from earlier that morning and worked back up to where the boss came back into it at 3:30, they went back into the pines, not sure if that is all that's left of the Jake gang? That was it for the day, one boss, one hen, and two Jakes, all day long. That's the first time I've blanked the 3rd season since back in the mid 90's. I had my chances, passed on the Jakes three times, and got beat up by the boss three times and his buddy once, but I had a bone to pick with that boss bird, it was him or nothing. Bad weather this morning and supposed to be worst tomorrow, so I'll give that area a couple days to calm down again before I hit that area again Friday. With the farmer and his wife hunting that area also this week I don't want to pressure that bird to much and move him out of the area? Hopefully his luck will continue and he'll still be there Friday, maybe with them on the other side of that corn field, he may move to my side and be workable? Friday I plan to start out in the hens roosting area and see what happens?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » May 7th, 2014, 10:10 am

Gotta have a plan, hope it works....good luck
David

You never know, unless you go

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 7th, 2014, 8:10 pm

You hang in there Scott, I'm sure you'll be carrying that old boy out by the feet before this is all said and done.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 8th, 2014, 11:33 am

Well it was dead quiet out there this morning, no wind what so ever. The only birds I heard this morning were on the next farm on the back side of the woods that the gobblers have been in, they were about 3/4 mile, you could just barely hear them. nothing on my side or the other side of the road in any of the public. The geese and ducks were there, I could hear them, but no turkeys. Not sure if with the farmer hunting his woods has the birds run out? Haven't even seen a hen in two days, they must be locked down on their nest. I did see a coyote across the corn, it was headed towards the nesting area around the pond, that and three large raccoons, they were along the end of the corn heading to the pines, dang nest wreckers.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

PreviousNext

Return to Team 5