My Opening

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: My Opening

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 1st, 2014, 4:35 pm

Sorry boys, I blew it today :x .
It was raining here when I rolled out the sack this morning, so I didn't bother going out till 8am, and decided to head to the other end of the area I'm hunting, about a half mile walk in. They didn't burn that area and that's where those Jakes headed yesterday morning, so I figured that's where the hens were. I headed down the publics fence line to the private owners corn field, only food in the area, I was watching the field and checking the deer trails that come out of it for turkey signs? None that I found, though it's rained the last 3 days, there still should of been some old tracks, but nuttin. Decided what the heck, I'll cross the CRP to the small wood lot and see if there is any sign along it? As I was slowly walking down the edge a bird bust out of a brush pile, I peek over it and there is a nest of 13 eggs, I hadn't gone more that 50 yards and another bird busts out, I go and look there and there is another nest of 9 eggs, as I get to the end of the CRP field and the field road I decided to head back to the truck, as I was about half way across the CRP another bird bust out the brush line, I check that and there is a nest of 11 eggs, so misoiltester I stand corrected, they are nesting, all three of these birds busted with in 5 yards of me, so I knew they were sitting tight for a reason. There is a bigger wood lot at the end of the farmers cornfield, which may be where the old boys are staying, but he hunts and he has a couple of other guys that hunt his farm, so Mr. Tom might be there or in someone freezer? I get back to the truck I decided to cross the road, there is a small piece of public that runs between two private farms, it's only about 200 yards deep and about a 100 yards wide with a string of pines running down the center, and a lot of brush. I know the birds like to roost there, between the grass field and the cut corn field, there is a large plowed field at the end of it with a wooded island in the middle. I glassed every field in hopes of seeing a bird, but nuttin. I decided what the heck, I'd set up at the end and send out a few calls, they've got to be someplace with the hens nesting. As long as the hens are nesting, I switched up my calling tactics. I started keeing and answered it with a gobble, waited a few minutes and kee'd again, sat for 10 minutes and gobbled again. It started raining again so I pulled off my rain coat and through it over my lap and knees to keep my calls dry, I sent out another kee kee and heard a deep cluck from behind me in the pines . I had just walked through those pines coming in 20 minutes ago. There I sat with my rain coat over my knees with the hood tucked in my jacket and my calls sitting on my gun which was across my lap in the rain under the rain coat. Another deep cluck comes from just behind me, he wasn't more then 10 yards, and I hear him spit n drum. I freeze, as he comes around the left side of my tree, I could hear him walking in the wet grass, at least he's on the barrel end of the gun. He gets even with me and is in full strut, with a beard dragging on the ground and good hooks, at about maybe 10 feet. I had both my hands under my rain coat from calling, and eased my right hand to the safety, ClicK, his head turns stares right at me. Oh crap!! This is going to be a one handed shoot from the lap kind of shot, but he's standing at the end of my barrel, problem is I'm only going to hit his chest. I wiggle my left hand fingers under the barrel and try so slowly to raise it a couple of inches. My box call squeaks and he busts loose and all I get is a face full of wet leaves and dirt. Good thing, it probably would of broke my thumb and trigger finger trying to shoot a 3", 12ga with only two fingers to stop the recoil, I had wet leaves stuck to my glasses and his wings damn near took my hat off. Well I know there is still one there, and he only got spooked, tomorrow morning maybe I can get the chance to stick wet leaves in his face?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 1st, 2014, 5:59 pm

:lol:

great story Scott. If there's a worse feeling in turkey hunting than a deep cluck right behind you at extremely close range then I haven't experienced it. Keep after that boy, he'll be there. Looks like the weather is supposed to improve quite a bit around here tomorrow and into the weekend.

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » May 1st, 2014, 7:46 pm

Kicked dirt in your face, now that is up close and personnel, yes, he is due a little pay back.....good luck
David

You never know, unless you go

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 1st, 2014, 9:42 pm

:lol: :lol: I always hate it when they come in through the back door.

I'm curious when you push your safety in, do you do it with one finger or do you put a finger on each side of it and slide it in. I have experienced that using the two finger method is a lot quieter. Just a thought for the next time that happens.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 2nd, 2014, 9:24 am

I also use the "two finger" method if they are close Kygobbler. It's MUCH quieter.

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » May 2nd, 2014, 11:18 am

What a day you had :lol:

Don't ya' know, when they are close, ya' gotta use 2 fingers, one on each side, to "ease" the safty off ;)
I've been there and done that one, way too many times :shock:

I sure hope todays a lot better day, and mother nature co-operates :D

You sure aren't short on turkeys there!!!
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 2nd, 2014, 2:46 pm

I did. He was so close that he could even hear that soft click.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 2nd, 2014, 4:07 pm

I went back after him this morning. He was there but not alone, his buddy had showed up and so did the 5 Jake gang. I snuck in at 4am, well before daylight, and was sitting in his bedroom. He wasn't more the 50yds away, his buddy was a few trees past him and the Jakes were in two trees on the other side of me about 50yds. It started raining just after I got set up, but that didn't stop them from sounding off. Then the hens started up, from what I could tell there was about 6/7 hens, they were roosted just about in the middle of that small strip of trees, me and the gobblers were between them and the corn field, right where I wanted to be. I kept quiet and let the hens do the talkin. The rain started to let up just about shooting time, I eased my gun up onto my knees and waited. His buddy was gobbling up a storm, the Jakes were yelping, and the boss only gobbled twice, he was the first to gobble and then again as he left the roost. The hens flew down first, they landed about 30yds in front of me in a grass clearing I counted 5. The Jakes were the next to fly down, the came my way and landed just behind the girls. I thought Oh Boy this is going to be good, gun is up and pointed at the girls and Jakes, now all I need is the boss. Well he's not an old boss for a reason, he flys down towards from where the girls came from, and as soon as he hits the ground, he cuts loose with a double gobble, a single, then another double. His buddy drops out of the tree and is slowly working toward him, not saying a word. Then a hen starts up cutting and cackling and purring up a storm. She was doing her sex purrs, high pitched and fast, you could really here that high pitch squeal at the end of them. Just my luck, I get the old dry hens that land in front of me, and the hot babe drops straight out of her tree. The other hens start working passed me, headed for the corn field, the Jakes stayed where they were and watch the boss then headed for the road and back to where I was set up Weds. as they vanished into the brush, I slipped a call out of my vest and gave a couple super soft clucks and purrs, one of the birds answered. I wiggled around on my seat to get pointed in their direction, there is a little knoll about 5 foot high that I can't see over, but I know where the two birds are. I can hear that hen still purring so I know they haven't left, I start sex purring in hopes it draws one of the birds my way. About ten minutes go by and nothing? Just then another hen starts cutting and both birds sound off, she is coming from the other grass field and she doesn't sound real happy, there is no way I could machine gun cutt that fast, I don't think Scott Wilhelm could of kept up with her. The next thing I see is that young hen comes running over the knoll, passed me and heads after the other hens towards the corn field behind me. I'm thinking come on boys follow that hot little babe hen right passed me to the corn with all the other girls. The next time I hear the boss gobble, he's in the grass field about 80yds off to my right, Dang Boss Hens anyways, when the boss talks everyone listens and follows. I stayed until 1:00, but neither of the gobblers came back looking for what I had to offer, so tomorrows another day and as long as those hens stay around that area, ,maybe my luck will change?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » May 2nd, 2014, 5:26 pm

Geez, that sounds like a fun time, but that doesn't put meat in the freezer ehh, hang in there, big boy ( or his partner for that matter) will mess up sooner or later, you'll get your man as they say....
David

You never know, unless you go

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 2nd, 2014, 8:37 pm

you know where you need to be Scott, just need one of them to make a mistake. It will happen if you keep after them.

PreviousNext

Return to Team 5