2014 Turkey Scoreboard

TurkeyJohn

Re: 2014 Turkey Scoreboard

Postby TurkeyJohn » May 13th, 2014, 9:02 am

Tagged out last evening guys,

Not going to win on the leaderboard by a long shot, but at least we’re participating and not eating tag soup.

Was able to get out to my wife’s family farm where I started turkey hunting in ’98 or ’99, can’t remember. Chased birds hard the first few years. Made too many mistakes to count while I learned “on the job”. Shot over a bunch, busted a bunch, set up in the wrong spot, moved at the wrong time, you name, I’ve done it. I’ve never been able to connect on a bird, any bird, on the farm, though there’s been lots of birds around.

Fast forward to this past Saturday night. Having a visit with the father in law, planning Mother’s Day the next day. He mentions that he’s seeing lots of birds on his fields and asks if I’ve tagged out yet. Of course, not yet, so a plan comes together for a Mother’s Day hunt. Patient wife asks no questions as I pack all the hunting gear into the Jeep for the trip west to home. Well, we have our visit and meal, and work out the details of where and when the birds appear and make plans for an ambush hunt as decoys and calls don’t seem to be working and only seem to spook them right now here locally. We have another stop to make this day though, my own Mother, so we make plans to come back after a meal with the other side and set up for an evening hunt prior to legal time running out.

We get back to the farm later than I had hoped. We drop my wife into the farmhouse for a visit with her parents and Wesley and I are off to the field. As we’re driving back we see birds in the field and they see us. As we’re getting closer they start bee-lining to the woods. We stop, disappointed and Wesley and I decide that it’s better to turn around and try another day rather than really busting them as we try to get into position and we’re good with that. We turn around and drive back to the house and settle in for a long distance scout with binos from the back yard. We decided right, within 20 minutes of us getting back the birds are back. We count about 8 going across the field, picking in the dirt as they go. So a new plan comes together.

We decided to drive back home again Monday night, get in earlier and get in a hunt.

We do arrive in good time and again, drop Wesley’s Mom into her parent’s house to visit while we boys head to the field. We park the Jeep in the far corner where the rolling hills hide it from the birds entry point. We then start marching with our gear to our “spot” to set up. Turkey seat, blind for the boy, his snacks, etc. and oh yeah, the shot gun. You’d think we were camping for a week up there. We do manage to bust a hen that was dusting herself in the dirt on route to our spot, she flies off, but no damage. We find out spot, set up his blind and settle in for a much anticipated hunt. Thermacell is humming along and thank goodness as the bugs were out in full force. After only a few minutes, I see a hen pop out of the woods at the point where the birds the night before arrived from. She pokes around for a bit, but doesn’t have anyone with her and pops back into the woods. No harm, we set up pointing in the direction she came and wait.

It can’t be any more than 20 minutes of waiting when out of the corner of my eye, on the other side, I see something. Sure enough, there’s four big Jakes with a couple of hens coming into the filed from the middle, not where we had expected them. So, with a bunch of brush in front of me, I’m able to get moved around. I tell Wesley that “They’re here” and try to sort out the largest and decide if I’m going to use my last tag on a Jake after a week of not seeing much. We do decide a bird in hand is better than none so I’m eyeing up the biggest of the bunch and waiting for a clear shot through the bush and the others to clear away. Couple of minutes later, he’s down and we’ve tagged out for the season. High fives and pictures ensue. Load him into the Jeep and we’ve broken the family farm curse that’s been dogging me for years. A great evening for sure all done by a little after 6.

Won’t break any records but at 16 lbs. 4 ½ inch beard and ¼ inch spurs, taken with my son, couldn’t make me any happier,

Photos attached,

Thanks all,

TurkeyJohn

IMG-20140512-00268.jpg
IMG-20140512-00268.jpg (173.61 KiB) Viewed 222 times

IMG-20140512-00266.jpg
IMG-20140512-00266.jpg (181.11 KiB) Viewed 222 times
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » May 13th, 2014, 9:22 am

Well done and a proud son also ;)

Ya' had to get the curse of the farm past you, so you can beat up on the big boys there, in the futue :)
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 13th, 2014, 10:21 am

Glad to see that the curse has been lifted off the farm. I don't blame you on taking the jake because it tastes a lot better than tag soup.

Im curious, do you have something over the jakes head? I do have some color blindness but it looks orange to me.
Is it turkey season yet?

TurkeyJohn

Postby TurkeyJohn » May 13th, 2014, 11:10 am

Thanks Kygobbler,

PM'd you with info on the orange head,

Thanks for noticing, nothing wrong with your eyes, :D

TurkeyJohn
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

dewey

Postby dewey » May 13th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Shooting a jake to make a happy young man is certainly a great decision on your part.

Congratulations to you and your son.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 13th, 2014, 3:52 pm

Good job on the Jake, John. I like that orange head, it sure helps eliminates a safety issue.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 13th, 2014, 4:37 pm

Congrats on tagging out John! Some fine eating for you this year :D

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 15th, 2014, 5:29 pm

Bird No.2
Adult Eastern Gobbler
23.15#
10-3/4" Beard
1" spurs
Attachments
5-15-14.JPG
5-15-14.JPG (98.27 KiB) Viewed 186 times
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 17th, 2014, 5:53 pm

Bird 4

Adult Eastern Gobbler

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » May 20th, 2014, 10:45 am

What a crappy spring in Michigan and Fri. after wind and cold rain on Thursday, finished by 7:05 am.
Still was 34 and nw cold 8 mph wind, and very cloudy.
22.6#, 9" beard and 1 1/4" and 1 3/16" spurs.
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

PreviousNext

Return to Team 5