2014 Turkey Scoreboard

misoiltester

Re: 2014 Turkey Scoreboard

Postby misoiltester » April 28th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Congrats .. and can't wait to see the pic. :o
I don't even like to hunt in the rain ;)
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 29th, 2014, 8:29 pm

Congrats Gopher, I finally get to hit the woods tomorrow, rain or shine I'll be there, and hope they want to play!!!
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

TurkeyJohn

Postby TurkeyJohn » May 1st, 2014, 11:42 am

Hey Folks,

Well, have made it out twice, the opener and then this Monday past.

On the opener, weren't close to any at dawn, could hear gobbling a ways off, so my 9 year old and I just sat and soaked it all in. When nothing was doing and things quieted down, after a lot of calling and waiting, we decided to check the rest of the property. About mid morning, we had gobbles a little ways off so we settled in to a tree line and waited. Sure enough, Mr. Gobbler comes across the field toward us and our lone decoy. At times, looked like he was going to bust away, but he did keep working over. The gun goes up and seems like things are coming together. My boy, who's sitting right behind me, is asking over and over again when I'm going to shoot. So I wait and wait. Finally seems he's within range so I let go with the 870 and shoot cleanly over him. He takes wing and it gone. I think he ducked when I shot and that's what blew it on me and me rushing the shot sure didn't help. Paced it out at 35 yards and that is the sweet spot for the gun. Crap....

So, forward a few days to Monday past. A buddy of mine that I've hunted with over the years is with me in the woods, same farm. We have a plan, based on where the boy and I heard them gobbling on the Friday to set up in the tree line, pointing into the woods with the decoys behind us, looking at where they were making the noise on the Friday. So, as we're walking to the spot, little later than I would have liked, I swear I hear a gobble, we stop, but don't hear anything. Then, a neighbours dog barks and we do hear gobbles, many of them and they're close. so we duck into the treeline and set up with the decoys behind us. Well, as they gobble again, we realize they are close, like 30 yards close and we can see them shifting in the trees close to us. Yikes...We sit tight, no moving, and no noise. Dawn breaks and we see a hen and a good Tom sail over us into the field behind and keep moving away. Beat on them, but what about the bunch inthe trees? There's still a bunch of big birds gobbling up a storm just in front of us. As the light brightens, they start floating down to the forest floor in front of us, maybe 30 feet away, a couple of hens and 3 Toms. They're strutting and gobbling like crazy, but only little beards. They had full fans and not much for spurs, but for Jakes, they were big. The hens start leading them away from us and my buddy Ian, starts clucking on a slate call and they turn. Not believing they're really leaving live birds for the stupid ones in the field, we start deciding whether or not we're going to take smallish birds or let them walk. I did ask Ian that a double would be cool and we had hunted together for 8 years and never, ever had a chance before and in fact had only ever taken one bird between us. So we decide that yeah, we'll get pick on our second birds, but that morning, we'd take the Jake double. So I take the one doing the most strutting since he was on my side and Ian takes the second. Mine weighed in at 17 and Ian's at 15, not monsters, but a double after 8 long years was so cool, we didn't care.

Here's the birds and each of us with them, someone had to hold the camera,

Turkey John

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=505588886231199&set=o.100414680045448&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=660476577341166&set=pcb.660479064007584&type=1&theater
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 1st, 2014, 1:33 pm

Nice birds John! Congrats to you two on the double!

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 1st, 2014, 5:18 pm

Glad to see that you and your friend were able to take a double.

Congrats to both of you.
Is it turkey season yet?

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » May 2nd, 2014, 6:28 am

Congrats on a double, as 8 years is long enought to wait ;)

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 9th, 2014, 11:59 am

Well, somehow I accidentally shot a jake this morning :lol:

Had a group with 3 full fan strutters and 4 jakes come in. I was on one of the strutters, and was waiting for an open shot. They walked behind a little brush, and I got back on the strutter when they came out. I fired and put the bird down. When I got up to him it was a jake? they must have swapped spots on me quickly behind the brush (although i could still kind of see them), or I must have looked at the bead for a second and when I focused back on the birds I got back on the wrong bird and the barrel was obstructing his beard. I'm happy to take the bird, don't get me wrong, I just can't honestly figure out how a bird with a full fan and 10" beard turns into a late hatch jake with a 1" beard while I'm watching him the entire time from 30 yards away :lol:

Either that or those jakes were part of the turkey secret service and took one for el presidente...

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » May 10th, 2014, 7:02 am

3 Nebraska Merriams .. pics on main forum.

16 1/2#
7" beard
ls 7/16"
rs 3/8"

18.2#
8" beard
ls 13/16"
rs 3/4"

18.8#
9" beard
ls n/s
rs n/s

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 11th, 2014, 9:33 am

One adult Eastern.
26.8 #
11" beard
LS 1"
RS 1-1/8"
Attachments
Mothers Day Bird.jpg
Mothers Day Bird.jpg (64.51 KiB) Viewed 139 times
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 11th, 2014, 4:31 pm

Great bird Scott!,

man it sure was a nice morning out. I burned my only 4th season tag on that Jake Friday, but it was too nice not to hunt today so I went along with my buddy to call for him this morning. Ended up calling in a nice 3 yr old for him at our second stop of the day around 9:30. That makes 3 toms for him in 5 days hunting. I hope he's not starting to think hunting is always this good :lol:.

there have been more birds and more gobbling birds around unit 4 this year than any of the past three. really ticks me off that Wi DNR caved into those vocal "sportmans" groups and reduced the surplus permits.

PreviousNext

Return to Team 5