TEAM 1 NEWS AND BLOG

joeturkey

Re: TEAM 1 NEWS AND BLOG

Postby joeturkey » May 9th, 2014, 6:48 pm

Season update :oops: The names have not been changed to protect the innocent! Day 1Two of my regular hunting partners are absent from the battle due to work comittments,but friend Bob also has a tag for week 2 in wisc.and he will be up for opening day.We decide to team up and go after them at the Honeyhole on my side of hunting propertys.We are right on time and sneek into the roost area undetected. Too close as it turns out as I can plainly see two turkeys roosted within 40 yards at first light.Beautiful turkey morning birds gobbling all around us. The tom in the tree in front of us just struts on the limb at the ever increasing chorus of gobbling of his serfs. He is King Tut.He does gobble once or twice to let everyone know he is still here. The game is afoot. The hen roosted in the tree next to his flys down 1st, down into the ravine and lands at least a 100 yards away :evil: He stays in his perch for another 10 minutes and when he looks about to leave I hit em pretty hard with some clucks and yelps. He then changes direction on the limb and flys down on our ridge 30 yards from his tree downhill and out of sight.Things are looking good.After a couple of flydowns and much calling on my part, about a half hour later he's gobbling strong and coming in.I finally see him at 50 yards or so on my right closer to me.There he hangs up in some brush and starts putting and I don't have a good enough shot :cry: He's gone. It's 730 or 800 and it's time to head across the road to find another,oh well.Coffee and breakfast and were back out, they are still gobbling on the other side of the road as were walking in.!st setup the close bird shuts up and goes silent. I spot 2 toms and several hens 300 yards in the distance with my monocular. We make a move to close the distance using terrain.Set up with decoy out in little field next to inside corner of woods.45 minutes later another hard gobbling tom is coming at us out ofthe woods. He does not come out into the open field but circles it instead heading right at Bob who is sitting on my left.He's now 35 yards from me and screaming gobbles at every call I make.Waiting for Bob to shoot,Bob doesn't shoot turkey walks away gobbling and doesn't come back :twisted: This only gets better,to be cont. Joe
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

joeturkey

Postby joeturkey » May 9th, 2014, 7:18 pm

Season update continued; When we 1st sat down at our 2nd set up there was some heavy brush on the side of the field which we tried to hack away at with shears to provide some shooting lanes.With the tom 30 yards from Bob he was unable to see him clear enuff to shoot. I had him clean at 35 :evil: While the tom is leaving another bird sounds off his approach from the opposite direction,downhill to my right in the open field! I switch my gun to lefthanded and spot him through the dogwood on my right coming up the hill. My turn. He gets about 50 yards from the decoy,hangs up.I'm trying to get an opening through the dog wood with my red dot, he's at 45. I don't have a clear shot and I'm wanting him to come in closer.I don't shoot,he circles a small patch of woods in the field and disafrickingapearsssss :evil: This is why turkeyhunting is not for the faint of heart.lol Were back to our respective campers for lunch, nap and lick our wounds.Me and Bob both hunt out of blinds for the afternoon hours on opposite sides of the road.Only bird spotted is a hen, right in front of me feeding next to my decoy for 20 minutes around 500 pm.Eventful Day 1 is done :cry: I will try and post more days afield tomorrow. I will also try and shorten my musings about the hunts, but you just can't make this stuff up!lol good luck and good hunting Joe
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 9th, 2014, 10:31 pm

Joe, I gotta say you are a better friend than I would be. I understand by letting your friend get a bird first but if he lets one walk by and then have a second bird come in and he doesn't have a clear shot and I have a open shot. Well I would have a bird flopping and tell my friend the adult beverage is on me. :lol:

Glad to hear that you are atleast having some action and I have no doubt you will have a limbhanger hanging soon.
Is it turkey season yet?

joeturkey

Postby joeturkey » May 10th, 2014, 1:33 am

Yeah I hear ya gobbler,I didn't even have my gun up at the time. I was just hammering my slate call at that moment trying to make ol tom stick his ugly head up for Bob to nail his arsh! Good friends are indeed hard to come by :mrgreen: more to follow,still after them. Joe

Ben Franklin

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 18th, 2014, 2:04 pm

Guys how is the hunting going up there?
Is it turkey season yet?

joeturkey

Postby joeturkey » May 23rd, 2014, 10:47 am

Team 1 Final Season report; 9.2 days, 56 hours or so and 3 deerticks later I have to sadly report that I am turkeyless this year. I missed a shot during my second tag week :oops: 2nd miss since 1993 when I started hunting with red dot sights. Many close encounters, exciting hunts, pretty sunrises,beautiful gobbling mornings,hailstorms, thunder, lightning, horizontal rain, you name it. NO turkey! But god it was fun :D Congrats to all the successful hunters and the winning team :D Good luck and good hunting joe

Ben Franklin

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 23rd, 2014, 5:12 pm

Joe, I hate to hear that you got tag soup. I had that soup a few years ago and I could barely take it down. Mix it up with some mash potatoes and it hides the taste pretty good. :oops: :lol:

I heard through the grapevine that TJ has gotten atleast 1 turkey. As soon as he post all the turkeys he has gotten on his Wild Turkey Termination Tour across the states, I think we might be in pretty good shape as a team.
Is it turkey season yet?

Previous

Return to Team 1