Opening Day tomorrow

WillowRidgeCalls

Opening Day tomorrow

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 23rd, 2013, 8:48 pm

:D Well finally down to a wakeup, I've been itchy to get out there. Supposed to be 28 degrees in the morning with a west wind at 5-15, 60% chance of snow expected tomorrow night early, then clearing :roll: . The weathers been keep the hunting preasure down, so hopefully the birds won't be beat up to bad. I'll let you guys know what I find tomorrow?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Chief Many Longbeards

Re: Opening Day tomorrow

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » April 24th, 2013, 9:00 am

best of luck, scott. bag a biggun. we cant let unclenicky carry the load all by himself :lol:
i struck out first season. lots of close calls but very little gobbling once they hit the ground and the toms stuck tight to the hens. temps were way below normal and wet and windy all week but at least we didnt have any snow. :D
but ... i have two more tags/seasons to go, beginning friday

Uncle Nicky2

Postby Uncle Nicky2 » April 24th, 2013, 11:08 am

Good luck!!

dewey

Postby dewey » April 24th, 2013, 12:43 pm

Good luck Scott!

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 24th, 2013, 3:18 pm

A quiet morning, only heard a jake on the roost, he was yelping up a storm, then a few hens started sounding off. At 6:30 I heard one gobble once, about 2 min later a shot rang out :o . Then about 7:00 I heard Bang--Bang Bang, not sure if that one still running? Tomorrows another day.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » April 24th, 2013, 6:13 pm

Yes it is, good luck to ya brother, stay warm, brrrrr
David

Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

DonMcJr

Postby DonMcJr » April 24th, 2013, 7:21 pm

Look what happened to me today...

http://youtu.be/q5V8mK87Pqk

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 25th, 2013, 11:20 am

At least your seeing some, two mornings of hunting with no birds or gobbles . This is a strange spring, cold, wind, and rain most of the morning.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

DonMcJr

Postby DonMcJr » April 25th, 2013, 11:30 am

Just some tips from my 3 day Season :roll:

The Toms are not answering but they are coming in to yelps and Purrs...

When the weather is crappy and rainy they sleep at the edge of fields and when it slows down they come in the field to shake off the water...

Good Luck!

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 28th, 2013, 10:50 am

It's been a tough week, but finally filled one of my tags this morning. Weds. morning I heard a jake yelping on the roost, then a hen started cutting at him aggressively, then went to tree talk. I never seen or heard anything after that. Thur. morning I hear a hen tree talking, gave her some tree talk and she starts getting mad, started cutting at me and fighting purrs. I heard her fly down and she started back into the fighting purrs and here she comes. She came in and seen my hen decoys which were out in the field, and started cutting like a mad dog at them, she steps into the field and see my jake decoy, locks up and starts putting at it and turns and leaves. She was the only bird I saw all day. Friday morning she starts tree talking, I answer and she starts yelping aggressively, so I copy her. It's a yelp fest that goes on for about 5 minutes of solid non-stop aggressive yelping. She flys down and starts cutting and cackling and here she comes again. I didn't have my jake out, just the hens, she comes in cutting and yelping aggressively, she gets up in the face of my up-right hen and starts fighting purrs and pecking at it, and I'm purring back at her, she starts whoopin that hen, knocks it over and jumps on top of it pecking at it some more. She them heads for my feeding hen clucks at it and settles down and feeds with it for a bit, then walks off. She is the only bird I've seen in 3 days of hunting. Saturday We went to the T&TH hunting grounds to see what was up there? We didn't see or hear a bird, we talked to the other hunters and stopped at the sport shop to talk to them. They said the same thing, the birds still aren't broke up, either your in bunches of birds or none at all. This morning the fog was thick, but I'm back at my usual spot, I set my hens and strutter up and set back down and start getting my calls out. My favorite hen starts her cutting and cackling, this time she's cut off by a gobble that's about 60 yards to my left. I grab my soft touch and start tree pitting and soft yelping. I hear him leave the tree and land in the tree next to me, but the fog is so thick I can't see him up there. He stays up there a few minutes then glides out to the decoys, when he turns sideways I can see a long beard and bird shape. He goes into strut and gobbles, as soon as he gobbles the woods comes alive with birds flying out of the trees all around me, I see 6 birds land near him and he goes out of strut and takes off running with the birds chasing him back into the woods. I can hear them in there but can't see them, back out of the woods they come and into the field and disappear in the fog. Soon they come running back to the decoys chasing the gobbler. I grabbed my box and gobbled at them. They stop chasing the gobbler and head for my strutter, all 9 jakes. The gobbler stands and watching them by himself. 3 of the 9 jakes go into half strut and start deep growling at my strutter. The Tom is watching this unfold at about 20 yards from me alone in the field. I thought this is your lucky day Tom, as I draw a bead on the biggest jake, when he clears the strutter I turn a load of Feds 5's loose on him, he folds as the other jake bust up and run in three different directions. The gobbler never moved, he stands there watching the jake flop around, then walks back into the woods. I give him a couple minutes to leave then get up and go after my jake, it's 6:03 am. The trees errupt with birds flying out of them deeper into the woods, I heard at least 7/8 birds fly out. Most of you wonder why in the hell would he shoot a jake with an adult gobbler standing there wide open 20 yards away? Well I'm a turkey hunter first and formost, and if you let large bunches of jakes stay together, they run most of your gobblers off or keep them from doing much gobbling. I still have more tags left for this area, and if I can help the gobblers out by busting those jake gangs up, I'll do it every time. A bird is a bird once the feathers come off, and I like hearing birds gobble and getting a chance to work them in, that's the fun in turkey hunting. I'll get a pic posted when I can get someone over to take it for me.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Next

Return to Team 7