mouth calls?

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
Fan Club

RE: mouth calls?

Postby Fan Club » March 31st, 2011, 3:11 am

Welcome to the forum, Justin...glad you decided to join us!

When I started turkey hunting in the early 90s mouth calls were at the peak of their popularity and all the rage. A few guys I knew had slate calls and box calls were considered antiques that your grandfather used. New hunters started right in on mouth calls and discovered and or graduated to the "older" friction calls later on.

Thing is, the diaphragm calls available then were pretty much crap by today's standards. I bought a bunch of Knight & Hale diaphragms on sale after the season one year that were virtually garbage- we ended up throwing them out. Several of us tried them and you couldn't even get a decent squawk out of them. These days K&H has Chris Parrish designing calls and they've upped the ante. The Primos "Cuttin' Hen" that I mentioned was the only mouth call I ever liked from them, never cared for the rest. I really liked the HS "Tone Trough" diaphragms that came out about 10 years ago, but they ran into copyright issues and had to discontinue them.

For the average guy that can't afford or isn't proficient on a custom mouth call, the quality does vary among the commercially produced calls available to us all. And you know what? That old box call still makes the prettiest yelps year after year.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

sloughfoot

Postby sloughfoot » March 31st, 2011, 8:16 am

Very true.   Its always good to have a variety of calls. Never know with turkeys, one day you need a pre 90's slate with drawn out yelps and soft purrs, and the next you need high notes off of a glass call with a carbon striker.   Finiky things, those thunder chickens!   Just use what makes em crawl up in your lap, and watch the spurs.

CuttnThenStackn

Postby CuttnThenStackn » June 14th, 2011, 5:28 pm

TC custom diaphragms! They are new and are by far the best calls I have ever used. Cant beat the realism that you can produce with the TC customs. Let me know if you want to know more details.Image

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » June 14th, 2011, 8:58 pm

Torry Cooks a fine fella and does make some great diaphagm calls.I like the howling horns he produces myself.I think he has something going with his distress diaphagms for the coyote.
Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » June 15th, 2011, 7:17 pm

Woodhaven Classic V3!! my pic from this spring season says it all! beautiful sounding raspy call.. if you really want 3 calls that can do it all check out the "Top 3 pro pack" from Woodhaven... From my experience there is a day light to dark difference between how the turkeys react and your success rate with a good quality mouth call.
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » June 16th, 2011, 9:20 am

Lots of good points made. ...I guess I will toss in my half-a-cents worth.

The things that influence the sound attained from a mouth call are 1) the proficiency of the user, and 2) the materials in, and the construction of, each individual call.

User proficiency is probably most influenced by the amount of time and effort that has been expended by the individual to learn how to use a mouth call.  However, there is no doubt that things such as the shape of the palate, tongue dexterity, facial/cheek muscle control, and a good "feel" for air control in the diaphragm and mouth all have some influence, as well.

The sound any mouth call is capable of producing, beyond the abilities of the user, is a function of the call construction.  The list of variable in call construction is practically endless.  There are various frame sizes, latex (reed) thicknesses, and call tape thicknesses and textures.  Add to those choices the layering of the reeds of the call, the spacing of the reeds, and the tension that is put on each reed, and it becomes apparent why anyone wanting to learn mouth call use could become overwhelmed by it all.

The fact of the matter is that with so many variables in call construction, it is, for all practical purposes, impossible to duplicate the sound that one call will make when compared to the identical call made before it or after it.  The tolerances for achieving the exact sound quality cannot be maintained from one call to the next, regardless of how precise the construction process is. 

How many of us have found the "Holy Grail" of mouth calls, only to find after buying a supply of those same calls for future use, that none of the calls sounded exactly the same?  My money is betting that everyone reading this has raised their hands. 

The "Bottom Line" is that everybody has to go through the discovery process.  Sure, each of us can tell you what works best for us, but, in all honesty, that may not necessarily mean squat when it comes to what will work best for you.

(...And finally, if you want some help with your mouth calling woes, send a PM...I may be able to help....)

Jim

ncturkey

Postby ncturkey » June 21st, 2011, 8:17 am

Everone is going to have there favorite brand. But I am going to tell you my favorite cut or type of mouth caller that is very good for clucking, cutts and purrs. That is 2.5 reed split V callers or a 3 reed split V callers. The 2.5 reed split V calls are good for soft to moderate cutting and the 3 reed split V call is more aggressive. Now the reed thickness and stretch is very important too. Too me the Split V call purr very well. I have used many different brands of calls. And the Split V from most call makers will cluck and purr well. Most will cut pretty good to. One other cut I like the the 3 reed combo cut. It has a modified V cut in it. They sound really good too. With that being said. I do have a favorite brand. And right know it is Hook's Custom Calls. But I do try most all the new brands so tommorrow it could change. Good Luck in finding a good mouth caller.
Mike

onpoint

Postby onpoint » July 1st, 2011, 12:11 pm

[quote]Too me the Split V call purr very well[/quote

Amen to that!
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

mark hay

Re: mouth calls?

Postby mark hay » October 2nd, 2011, 7:45 pm

In the past I have bragged on a certain mouthcall as well as some off the rack calls too . At the time I made all those posts they were as accurate as I could possibly be . But , with more experience , and wasted money spent on calls ,,,,,,,,,,,WHAT GOBBLERMAN and Fan Club have stated is right on the spot in my opinion .

I can no longer brag on one particular brand or make of mouthcall . I will say , the one that goes to the woods with me now ( sometimes I don't carry one )MUST be capable of producing ALL of the turkeys different tones , pitches and full vocabulary. Purr to gobble , hen or tom , keekee to cackle ,,,it must sound real .
They are very convenient to have in your cheek when at any moments notice you are confronted by a turkey with one of their many questions or accusations .

Obtaining the skill and polishing it often will bring results no matter what type call we chose . It is however , a lot of fun , and gratifying to accomplish the ''TAGGED'' results with several different types .

Best advice I can give is what also has been mentioned already ,,,,,,,PRACTICE , PRACTICE ,,,PRACTICE . Spend quiet time with the turkeys and JUST listen to how they call ,,,,,,they are the best teacher.

El Pavo Grande

Re: mouth calls?

Postby El Pavo Grande » December 2nd, 2011, 1:10 am

I have tried several different call brands over the years and many offer good, solid calls. Like said above, if new I think it's usually best to begin with a 2 reed call and work your way up as needed, but I think the latex used makes a huge difference in quality of call. Massed produced calls are often inconsistent.....You purchase two that sound great and the third sounds totally different. It's just part of it, but can get frustrating at $8 - $10 each. My personal favorite line of calls is LEGACY. I really like the thin latex they use, which allows for less pressure to work the 3 and 4 reed calls. I prefer the 4 reed batwing cut personally, which allows for the two note breakover clear-to-rasp yelp that sounds "turkey".

The measure of a good mouth call to me is it's ability to produce authentic turkey sounds while requiring the least amount of air pressure and a big plus, is if it requires zero break-in period. I like opening the package and it is woods-ready right off the bat, not requiring a week of calling on to get the right sound. Think about it...99% of the time while hunting I can immediately distinguish a hunter on a mouth call from a turkey, but that's not the case at such a high percentage with friction calls. But, the small percentage that are very proficient on mouth calls sure sound like the real deal.

Previous

Return to Calling