Cutting and the New Spittin Feathers CD

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
TheCallDr

Cutting and the New Spittin Feathers CD

Postby TheCallDr » March 19th, 2012, 3:14 am

In 2005 I started WildTalker Game Calls. I have been recording since 1995 when I produced the first CD of stereo digital Turkeys. In a couple of weeks I will have a new WildTalker Spittin Feathers CD with some of the original recordings and 35 new tracks. It's 60 min of nothing but Turkeys,Turkeys,Turkeys,Owls, Hawks,Crows,Pileated Woodpeckers and more. There is NO talking, only those that "Talk on the Wild Side"....lol.

I saw a Youtube video of this years Grand National finals. To my surprise I noticed some of the callers break into a cackle and fast clucking in their program. I assume it's some kind of trend adopted from another caller? Cutting has a broken rhythm unlike fast clucking or cackling. I am glad I have these now on seperate tracks so they are easier to identify.

It's been several years since I judged the World or Nationals. I was very impressed overall that these guys can Spit Feathers and some of the best calling I have ever heard.
WildTalker Game Calls
"Talk on the Wild Side"

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Cutting and the New Spittin Feathers CD

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 19th, 2012, 1:32 pm

Welcome to the T&TH forum Doc. We hope to see a few more post from you and some more comments about calling and the correct ways to do it. In watching a lot of the calling vids, it seems a lot of the callers have gone away from the realism turkey sounds and turned more towards the stage presintation of machine gun cutting and how fast they can run their calls, instead of a more real turkey sound with a pitch change and speed change in their routine. The pauses in a calling routine is as important as the speed you run your calls, and a lot of callers just get on stage and run a machine gun series of cutts, and don't add the small talk that a turkey does.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

TheCallDr

Postby TheCallDr » March 20th, 2012, 2:20 pm

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Welcome to the T&TH forum Doc. We hope to see a few more post from you and some more comments about calling and the correct ways to do it. In watching a lot of the calling vids, it seems a lot of the callers have gone away from the realism turkey sounds and turned more towards the stage presintation of machine gun cutting and how fast they can run their calls, instead of a more real turkey sound with a pitch change and speed change in their routine. The pauses in a calling routine is as important as the speed you run your calls, and a lot of callers just get on stage and run a machine gun series of cutts, and don't add the small talk that a turkey does.

Yes...... that is what I heard. Cutting can go "faster" to build up the program but the mistake is easilly made to transition into short cackles and fast clucking. That is one of the reasons why I added New tracks to the CD. So Cutting,cackling and fast clucking are there to remember which is which.

Another thing new is the Owls. Someone will UP their program next year by hearing these. Of course every hunter will benefit as well.

Their are 35 new tracks on the Spittin Feathers CD. Something for everyone to listen to.
WildTalker Game Calls
"Talk on the Wild Side"

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » March 22nd, 2012, 7:20 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Welcome to the T&TH forum Doc. We hope to see a few more post from you and some more comments about calling and the correct ways to do it. In watching a lot of the calling vids, it seems a lot of the callers have gone away from the realism turkey sounds and turned more towards the stage presintation of machine gun cutting and how fast they can run their calls, instead of a more real turkey sound with a pitch change and speed change in their routine. The pauses in a calling routine is as important as the speed you run your calls, and a lot of callers just get on stage and run a machine gun series of cutts, and don't add the small talk that a turkey does.

When I judge or am giving advice to a caller this is one of the most common ways to lose points on a good judges card.. They think its a race and points will be awarded based on impressing the judges on speed.. While hens can and do cut fast, callers generally get repetitive in rhythm when they try.. Alot of guys also come back to a 1,2,3 series of cutts that you can tell they feel comfortable with, but it becomes predictable..

I think a caller is better off slowing down their cutting and impressing a judge with spontaneous rhythm than fast repetitive cutting.

Return to Calling