King For A Day

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
Fan Club

King For A Day

Postby Fan Club » March 27th, 2011, 8:47 am

Spent a most enjoyable day yesterday at the Cabela's in Dundee, Michigan. Along with a few members of our NWTF chapter we sold raffle tickets for an annual three gun drawing. My father had a few old calls along for table props that I decided to condition and tune, a MAD Cherry Bomb box and an HS Strut slate call.

I started running the calls in the turkey call aisle (where I had borrowed sandpaper and scotchbrite pads). I must be a lot better than I give myself credit for because immediately I had a small crowd of hunters around me that started bombarding me with questions.

"What call should I buy?"

"When does the turkey do that?"  

"When would you use that call?"

I'm not trying to brag, but I actually began to feel like a celebrity. I patiently answered questions, gave personal tips on running calls and recommended calls and accessories. I "sold" a half dozen calls, HS ground blinds and even a couple Thermacells. I should have been getting a commission!

When I got back to our booth I continued running the calls to attract attention. It worked like a charm. Children in particular were attracted to the sounds and dragged entire families over for a look. I'd let the kids have a go at the calls while my buddies sold their parents raffle tickets. I gave calling intruction and hunting tips to dozens of beginning turkey hunters for over 8 hours.

Sure, it was a target rich environment, but it really did my heart good to see those smiling kids and know that that many folks were interested in turkey hunting. On the way home I caught myself smiling... with the realization that I have gradually become an elder statesman, mentor and advocate of turkey hunting in a little less than 20 years.

I'm not sure this will tickle anyone else the way it did me, but I'm still smiling today. Just thought I'd share the fact that turkey hunting appears to be alive and well, at least in these parts.

<-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

rbewilson

RE: King For A Day

Postby rbewilson » March 27th, 2011, 9:06 am

Way to go Fan club,bet you still have that smile on your face[:)][:)][:)]

Return to Calling