Squlling Hen Call.

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
Gobblernut

Squlling Hen Call.

Postby Gobblernut » February 26th, 2011, 11:55 am

[&:] In my opinion from actually hearing and attempting to use one at a bass pro shop..I have never in my life heard a turkey make this sound if so I probably didn't reliaze it was a turkey. Just my opnion.. Has anyone got a success story for this call..
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

SouthernStrut

RE: Squlling Hen Call.

Postby SouthernStrut » February 27th, 2011, 4:06 am

I think all the HS guys are sitting around laughing at all the people buying one of these things. I've never heard a turkey do this and probably never will. Even if it was an effective call, it's pretty simple to do on a mouth call, and yet people buy this crazy grenade looking call. I don't get it. This is why I have to get into the turkey hunting and calling industry, people will buy ANYTHING.

rezeen6.5

Postby rezeen6.5 » February 27th, 2011, 11:35 am

Well you know I had to buy one, its a joke. I haven't been hunting these birds as long as some of you but, this thing is crazy. It did come with a cool video though. I just bought a new pot glass call took me 30mins to get it sanded good enough to get any sound out of it at all. Why dont they sand this before you buy them. How much sanding should you do on a new glass top pot and peg? thanks Mike
ARkansashunting.net Powerlineman.com Bowfishing,com

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » February 27th, 2011, 12:34 pm

I haven't heard anything good about that call. They also make a coyote call that looks exactly the same.
Brian

Franco

Postby Franco » March 10th, 2011, 12:50 am

I am a first time turkey hunter waiting for this spring to be my first time. So I can't say it would work, or that the sound is accurate, but I have been looking at this call and I will tell you why.

I grew up raising chickens. We had a chicken lot, some may call it a pen. It was a good size and I think now days they call it free roaming chickens. We took whatever mother nature gave us. Roosters we either traded, kept or ate them. Hens same thing but also kept them for their eggs so they had more value to us. Guessing we averaged 40 hens and 5 roosters.

I have been studying this turkey hunting thing and have noticed similar actions and sound. One sound that always drew a reactin from a rooster was when another rooster mounted a hen. The hen would make a sound similar to this tukey hen squealing call, although it was not that loud or long...and when she would a rooster may be in the middle of eating or resting... and he would run to flog that rooster off her and take over. They would run before looking so sometimes they would have to put the brakes on becuase the rooster on the hen is higher up on the pecking order so they would high tail it out or they would get flogged.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » March 10th, 2011, 6:49 am

What you say about pheasants is interesting. Now that you mention that, I've heard songbirds and robins making chirping noises during breeding. I can't say birds always do that, but maybe they do sometimes.

I have a squealing hen call someone gave me last year. I'll take it with me this year and maybe use it as a last resort. One thought I have is that if you've called a gobbler in partway, and he decides he doesn't like something and starts to leave, maybe giving some squeals on the thing will make him forget what he didn't like.

I doubt it's the killer call that the ads say, but there might be times when it works.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 10th, 2011, 12:21 pm

No hyjack ,,,,just want to say Hey Steve ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just a couple days ago I was thinking ,,,''now where is that EverydayHunter?'' Good to have you with us and glad you got in before the birds start stackin' up like cordwood.
 I always enjoy your posts,
Mark

wseested

Postby wseested » March 11th, 2011, 9:01 am

I think people buy it because they see all the turkeys come running in the commercial. I have never heard a turkey make a sound like that, and the few times I've seen turkeys mate, there weren't any sounds. Just silence. Every time I see an ad in Turkey Country Magazine for that thing I laugh. Sounds like a predator call to me, and I'd be worried about attracting coyotes.

trkyhntr80

Postby trkyhntr80 » March 11th, 2011, 9:36 am

In the video that comes with this call it actually shows a tom jump on a hens back and she makes the sound that they are trying to recreate.I guess it could be HS propaganda .lol The owner of my usual outdoor store said he had guys call him last season after buying it telling him they would no longer be caught in the turkey woods without it......more propaganda..perhaps?I know this guy wants to sell his products but I've known him a while and never known him as the lying type.Just sayin.lol

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » March 27th, 2011, 10:07 am

ORIGINAL: mark hay

No hyjack ,,,,just want to say Hey Steve ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just a couple days ago I was thinking ,,,''now where is that EverydayHunter?'' Good to have you with us and glad you got in before the birds start stackin' up like cordwood.
 I always enjoy your posts,
Mark

Thanks, Mark. I've been to busy lately to be on any message boards.

Funny thing, last year the same thing happened and I came back and apologized for being away, and several people said stuff like "Didn't miss you" and "Who are you?"

See ya 'round. And, if I have any opportunity to use the squealin' hen call this year, I'll report it here first -- regardless of the outcome.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Return to Calling