Favorite striker?

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
Cut N Run

Favorite striker?

Postby Cut N Run » February 16th, 2012, 12:35 pm

I have a hickory striker that has brought in a bunch of turkeys over the years. I lost another one of my favorites running & gunning last Spring and I intend to replace it at the upcoming Dixie deer classic in Raleigh (yes, I'll be taking the call along with me). I was just wondering what favorite striker woods some of you use and which are your favorites.

I get that it depends on the call how well a striker matches up with it. I was wondering if anyone has a favorite striker wood type that is more versatile or call-friendly than others?

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

rbewilson

Re: Favorite striker?

Postby rbewilson » February 16th, 2012, 6:53 pm

woodhaven strikers for me,the birch and oak ones with flare tips great with alot of my calls.

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » February 16th, 2012, 7:52 pm

I make them out of maple, walnut, hickory, purple heart, cherry, mahogany, but to tell the truth my favorite is an old red cedar one I made several years ago. It just seems to have that "right" turkey sound when I use it with my old favorite beat up slate pot with all the chips and dings of long abuse, I mean use ;). Might just be me, who knows?? I about had a panic attack when I thought I lost it this past spring until I found it wrapped up in a towel under the seat of my truck. I like the others, they sound fine, but that's the one I wind up using with that call. Grain density and tightness varies in woods even of the same type, I think it is the match-up of striker to call that makes or breaks the sound. One striker may sound great on one call, but not sound very good on another. That last part is just my opinion. That and a buck thirty five might get a Dr. Pepper :lol: .
Ted
Last edited by Dixie Belle on February 16th, 2012, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

Limb Hanger

Postby Limb Hanger » February 16th, 2012, 8:02 pm

I bought a locust striker years ago, and it sounds great on copper, slate, or glass! Had a little difficulty finding locust to turn my own, finally found some in Grove City, PA.
Meadowblaster Custom Turkey Calls

Just because he isn't gobbl'n, doesn't mean he isn't listen'n!

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » February 16th, 2012, 8:44 pm

I have a LOT of strikers and always carry several with me that go good with the call I have on me.

One of my favorites, and one that sounds good on a lot my of calls, is a Black Limba striker. I like it so much I ordered a couple more from the guy I got from...just in case I lose it.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » February 16th, 2012, 10:15 pm

I'm a really big fan of purpleheart strikers, especially if I want to get aggressive and put a little more rasp into a call. Hickory is definitely another one of my favorites because I think it makes really nice, natural turkey sounds. It's very good for clucks and purrs and it can make some sweet yelps as well. I like both of those on glass or slate. Others you could look into include yellowheart, locus, zebrawood, cherry or maple. Any of those strikers should be more than capable of what you need it to do!
Brian

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 16th, 2012, 10:43 pm

What I use the most on my calls, is a dymond wood or purpleheart on my glass calls, and olive or chechen on my slates. I also like locust, tulip, bocote, blackwood and hickory, that I carry along with me.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 16th, 2012, 11:44 pm

Anybody ever use Dogwood or Persimmon for strikers? Both are pretty hard & dense woods. I'll see if I can get some turned to try.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 17th, 2012, 10:02 am

I've used both, they are ok. I likes the Persimmons better, it's a little higher pitched wood.One of the unheard of woods I like is Alowood, it makes a softer sounding striker that really carries a great tone for glass and slates.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 17th, 2012, 1:01 pm

Are you looking for a harder striker that gives less or a bit softer one that grips the surface more?

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Next

Return to Calling