different kinds of calls

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
YoungJake

different kinds of calls

Postby YoungJake » April 11th, 2011, 7:31 pm

do you guys carry many different calls with you on one outing? if so, why?

kygobbler

RE: different kinds of calls

Postby kygobbler » April 12th, 2011, 12:17 am

I always carry a glass, slate, and aluminum pot call with about 5 different strikers, a wingbone call, and a box with me. The reason why is because you never know exactly which sound they want to hear for the day. Now I don't use all them every time I go out. The reason why is because I don't want the gobblers to get educated to my calls. If I use the glass and get a response I will use it for the rest of the day. Just remember when you go out do NOT over call. Try your best to sound like the hens in your neck of the woods.

fightingspurs

Postby fightingspurs » April 12th, 2011, 2:24 am

I carry in my vest a slate,glass,sometimes a ceramic and a box call at least 6 mouth calls 4 to 6 pegs and all conditioners for my calls and some box call chalk and as far as locater calls a crow and a owl sometimes a woodpecker...Reason being depending on the weather i will use certain calls and i do like to change up calls so not to educate the birds. My primary call is a mouth call if they are far off box call or glass or ceramic, slate and mouth for close up thats just my preference.....

Good Luck i the turkey woods
Scott
Fightingspurs game calls - GOT BLOOD!!!

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 12th, 2011, 6:45 am

I carry two of each, two glass, two slates, and two boxes and two cane or trumpet calls. One in a high pitched young hen and one in an old raspy hen. If I strike a bird up with a call I'll keep using that call until I pull the trigger on that bird, but if he hangs up and moves off I'll reposition on him and switch calls because there was something he didn't like about it that changed his mind. Every hen has her own voice and a bird knows each one of them in his area, so when a new bird (you) comes to his area he has to check her out if he likes her voice. I'm not affraid to try different calls to find the one he likes and I'll work him with it. You never know what sound he'll like and if you don't try each you'll never know. What works today may not work tomorrow and vise a versa, if the bird likes the sound of a call he'll respond asap so you don't need to call a lot with each call, but if you don't run them you'll never know.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » April 12th, 2011, 7:35 am

I carry a slate, glass, and crystal friction call along with a short box and a couple of mouth diaphragms. Like Scott said, if I strike a bird with a particular call I'll keep using that one unless he looses interest in what I have to say to him. Which call I use depends on the conditions and pretty much what the birds want to hear. I also like to have a little variety because I don't like to throw the same thing at the bird day after day so my calls and calling techniques change throughout the course of the season. Best of luck to you YoungJake!
Brian

Return to Calling