uncallable tom

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
tracebusta39

Re: uncallable tom

Postby tracebusta39 » January 25th, 2012, 9:04 pm

I haven't read all the replies so if I am repeating someone else sorry in advance...

I had a tom few years back give me fits like that for the last 2 weeks of the season, everything I did seemed to have no effect on him. On the last day of the season I got above him and listened for him to gobble, making sure he was where I thought he would be.

It was real windy that morning so he only gobbled twice that I recall, once he was on the ground I slipped as close to him as I could and yelped very aggressivley toward him, then turned away from him and ran back up the logging road about 50 yards and waited a minute, then called to him again....I was making him think I was leaving, I ran back down the logging road to the original spot I had called from....by the time I got sit down he came running around the corner, it was the funniest thing you ever saw, as soon as he came around the corner he stopped on a dime and puffed up. I let him come out of strut and finished the season on a high.

Not saying this will work on every gobbler but it has worked a few times for me
Last edited by tracebusta39 on January 25th, 2012, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 25th, 2012, 9:39 pm

Wayne I hope you outsmart him this spring if you stay with him he will make a mistake some morning and you will give him a ride in your truck. I just thought I would through that in there as a option. Not the way I would like to end it either and the worst part is you will miss hearing him gobble when he is gone. Good Luck we want to hear the story this spring when you bring it to a close.

Jon
Turkeybuster

dewey

Postby dewey » January 25th, 2012, 11:01 pm

I am not sure but reading all of the responses has taught me a lot before the season starts. Wayne keep us updated with what you have tried and what finally worked.

Good luck.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 19th, 2012, 9:08 am

Have you considered staying in the woods ? Staying far enough inside that there is no possible way the tom can see your position from the field , yet can hear your movement . I would not use turkey vocalizations but rather leaf scratching and mock stretch and flap . By doing this the tom doesn't know if he is hearing hens or toms . It might just break his routine and come looking .
If it works he'll likely come in silent which always poses the problem of getting busted during your movements .
Fields give me a sensation of being trapped :D

grizzly

Postby grizzly » February 19th, 2012, 10:38 am

Thanks for the ideas Mark and it's good to see you back...wayne

onpoint

Postby onpoint » February 26th, 2012, 10:37 am

grizzly wrote: i could setup and bushwack him but that dosen't seem right to me . i want to call this bird any suggestions....wayne

Guess I'm not as much of a "purist" as some folks. At some point I'll get tired of him "not playing fair" and take the "whatever's necessary route" :mrgreen:
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Previous

Return to Calling