SQUEALING HEN, $25 WASTED!!!!!!!

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
Bryan78

RE: SQUEALING HEN, $25 WASTED!!!!!!!

Postby Bryan78 » April 17th, 2010, 3:47 pm

Thanks for the heads up on this call, I'll make sure and stay away from it.  Sorry you got hosed.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 18th, 2010, 12:56 am

Can anyone here make the squealin' hen sound on a diaphragm call?

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

mec58

Postby mec58 » April 19th, 2010, 11:50 am

Funny thing - I didn't think it would work wither, but I've called in two birds with it so far. Both were going away and I didn't think I had anyhting to lose, so I gave it a try. Both of them gobbled and turned back.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 19th, 2010, 3:12 pm

Thanks for posting, mec.

A friend of mine reminded me of one day a few years ago in early spring when I called in several jakes when blowing a predator call. Maybe there's something to it. Someone should be able to mimic it on a diaphragm.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 31st, 2010, 5:34 pm

I picked up a squealing hen caller last week. (No need to toss insults -- I didn't lay out any cash for it.) I had it with me today for the first time. I called in a gobbler to about 45 yards, and then he saw something across the field he didn't like. He putted and turned back the way he came.

I yelped on a diaphragm and stopped him 3 times, so he wasn't too scared. I wish I had thought of using the hen squealer. It would have been a good test. After watching the video from H.S., and trying it for myself, I'm thinking there might be some times when it works -- which is what we can say about some other calls, too.

I can see that it might work. Last year someone on another board posted a photo of a hen that had been bred, and the turkey that bred her killed her. Also, I have photos of a spot where I watched a gobbler breed a hen and there were over 200 feathers he tore off her. It hurts to be a hen that's getting bred, so it's no wonder they'd sometimes squeal... in pain, not in delight.

Our PA season ended today. It's a long time 'til next year. [:(]

Steve

weapon

Postby weapon » June 1st, 2010, 5:34 am

My problem with the call is that it is marketed as a call that a hen makes when the tom is "killing her". Maybe some toms are overly aggressive, but I don't think that is why hens squeal. I have bobwhite quail that I raise that do the same thing, and I have heard and seen so many songbirds do the same thing in my lifetime. All those birds are not as big as tom turkeys, yet their females make a squeal. No feathers come off of the females and they seem to generally like the act. I believe that the premise of the call is narrow minded. And another thing, Eddie Salter makes turkey hunting very hard to watch with that owl hoot after a kill.

Crappiepro

Postby Crappiepro » June 1st, 2010, 7:29 am

Just think of the money they made, not to mention the money they will make when retailers put them as clearence deals. So many people will see them as marked down and will buy one to try! I was wondering about the thermacell repelant unit, I was having a hard time believing it worked before I bought one. Thats why when something new comes out I let other people take the beatin before I'll buy! Sorry about the loss Guys!!

strut

Postby strut » June 1st, 2010, 1:30 pm

we have all spent $25 bucks on calls and other things we didn't need i have and truth is most of all u have.its just a round of golf or a steak dinner(which the next day its also gone) so $25 bucks on a turkey call that does or doesn't work its still something to try and keeps eddie working
every day is a good day when your above ground

eggshell

Postby eggshell » June 3rd, 2010, 4:25 am

I am in R&D development of a new call. I'm gonna call it the fartin Gobbler call, it will be a barely audible puff of of wind with a squeak.  Although I've personally never heard it I'm sure gobblers do it in the throws of mating, so why wouldn't other gobblers come running to get in on the orgy? I'm thinking $49.95, anyone want to pre-order.....I'm betting Bobby Parks will be the first (whispers those southern boys are really gullible).

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm

Sorry Dana , But you ain't keepin' up. I been runnin' that call since I was a tike ,,,,,,,,,,,,,even learned to imitate it with my voice ,,,,runnin' two calls at the same time [:D]

PreviousNext

Return to Calling