SQUEALING HEN, $25 WASTED!!!!!!!

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
mcvitullo

RE: SQUEALING HEN, $25 WASTED!!!!!!!

Postby mcvitullo » March 15th, 2010, 5:59 am

Nothing is as bad as the $50 Foiles migrators meat grinder I bought. Even after my friend shaved the reed, It still wouldn't cut over. The worst $50 I ever spent.
Fall turkey hunting is boring?! Have fun sitting in your deer stand....

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » March 25th, 2010, 4:32 pm

[;)] i will stick to yelping

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 25th, 2010, 4:46 pm

What! Dylan you dont have a squealer yet?
Jon
Turkeybuster

fightingspurs

Postby fightingspurs » March 26th, 2010, 6:21 am

Really all i have to say is GIMMICKS,GIMMICKS,GIMMICKS!!!!!! use the basics that really work and that you know...
Fightingspurs game calls - GOT BLOOD!!!

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » March 26th, 2010, 2:36 pm

i do enough squealing trying to play a trumpet caller!

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » March 26th, 2010, 3:34 pm

Any body buy one of knight & hales fighting purrs? Do theirs work????one of the wooden paddles was sticking on mine and it sounded alot like my clothes dryer when I put too many clothes in it. Needless to say I got my money back.

rudywilk

Postby rudywilk » April 17th, 2010, 3:58 am

I am a guide for Massachusetts, as one might expect there is a lot of pressure on the tom's. so when the squealing hen came out I thought I might get an advantage. So I tried it. This is what i found. if there were several Jakes in the area along with the hens, The call worked wonderfully. if there there was only the boss Tom or two mature birds the call did not work that well. In the first scenario. the Jakes started toward my call and the biggest To. gobbled several times and the Jakes backd off. The tom came within easy shooting range. When there wasn't any Jakes the call failed.
Rhubarb

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 17th, 2010, 4:22 am

ORIGINAL: rudywilk

I am a guide for Massachusetts, as one might expect there is a lot of pressure on the tom's. so when the squealing hen came out I thought I might get an advantage. So I tried it. This is what i found. if there were several Jakes in the area along with the hens, The call worked wonderfully. if there there was only the boss Tom or two mature birds the call did not work that well. In the first scenario. the Jakes started toward my call and the biggest To. gobbled several times and the Jakes backd off. The tom came within easy shooting range. When there wasn't any Jakes the call failed.

Welcome to the T&TH forums, Rudy. I think it's worth making a comment on what you say:

It makes sense that there are some calls that work only when conditions are right. A parallel example is rattling antlers when deer hunting. It's most effective when you have a balanced buck/doe ratio. Whether you've drawn the right conclusion might be up for debate, but at least you might have advanced the discussion on this topic. Good post.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » April 17th, 2010, 4:48 am

As I stated before. I bought the Sqealing Hen call. But. I can not say that I wasted my money. I already read the bad reveiws on here about it. Reason why I bought it? I wanted to see what it sounded like. Worst case I could use it for coyote hunting. To me it kind of sounds like an elk call. When I first got the Spring fever I was desperate for information. At the time I did not know about forums such as this one. So. I bought a couple DVD's. H.S. Strut to be exact. My first two calls were a Primos "Ole' Betsy" slate and a Quaker boy box call. The box call I could not get the sound I wanted out of it, so I gave it to a guy who needed one. My slate I still have and use it every year. I purchased alot of the H.S. videos and a good many calls and other products, and was always satisfied with the H.S. products. I love the Infinity Latex mouth calls. So to say I was a little dissappointed about the squealing hen call would be an understatement. I might use the call as a last ditch effort when other locator calls are not working. Or when a bird hangs up and starts to move away. But. As far as useing it when I have other options? I doubt it. I would really like to see coments about the call after the season is over. I know there HAS to be guys out there who plan to use this call during their hunts. I would just like to see How it ends up working for them. Or if it scares the birds off.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

paturkeyhunter29

Postby paturkeyhunter29 » April 17th, 2010, 10:41 am

Every year there is a gimmick call or two released for turkey hunting, I figured the squealing hen and fighting purr
calls were this years batch. Much like the buck roar calls for deer hunting these calls may work at certain situations
but not nearly enough to warrant the money they charge for them. I have enough predator calls don't need another
one! The squealing hen sound isn't a mating sound like it is being marketed, it is because the tom is hurting the hen
as he breeds her.
Love to hear the turkeys talk!

PreviousNext

Return to Calling