SQUEALING HEN, $25 WASTED!!!!!!!

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
mcvitullo

RE: SQUEALING HEN, $25 WASTED!!!!!!!

Postby mcvitullo » March 11th, 2010, 2:11 am

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

ORIGINAL: swpatrkyhunter
I was wondering if anyone had any info about it. I figured I could at least use it for coyote hunting or as a locator call...

Funny you should mention that. I came across this gizmo, also pedaled by H.S., that is marketed as the Mac Daddy® Coaxer predator call. Looks conspicuously like the Sqealing Hen doesn't it?

Back in December, when the squealing hen didn't even hit stores yet, I was on the NWTF website, trying to calm my already approaching spring fever, I came across an article about the squealing hen. H.S. said they discovered how to "perfect" Eddie Salter's secret call when they were in the delvopmental stages of some of thier pradator calls. So in a sense, it is a predator call.
Fall turkey hunting is boring?! Have fun sitting in your deer stand....

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 11th, 2010, 3:43 am

As far as I can see it's the same call. The predator version just has a plastic baffle on the end to change the tone. They also have a predator version with a large plastic bell that snaps on to amplify the volume.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » March 11th, 2010, 11:28 am

Has anyone here every heard a hen do that squealing? I never have.

(But what do I know. I never heard a gobbler answer a dog whistle either.) [:@]

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 11th, 2010, 11:50 am

Yep it is a small world afterall.
Jon
Turkeybuster

mcvitullo

Postby mcvitullo » March 12th, 2010, 2:00 am

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

(But what do I know. I never heard a gobbler answer a dog whistle either.) [:@]

Steve
  My domestic turkeys make that sound but I've never heard it from a wild turkey.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 12th, 2010, 3:38 am

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

Steve

When we hunted South Dakota, my buddy and I witnessed a Merriam's gobbler breeding a hen. He had her pinned flat on the ground with her wings splayed out. She was squealing like a banshee, a very high pitched constant tone that was only interupted when she took a breath. I wouldn't equate it with a kee kee because that sounds more like a whistle in comparison. The act was violent, pure and simple...there wasn't anything tender or loving about it!

Last month I attended Eddie Salter's seminar at the NWTF Convention. He related that they had domestic turkeys where he grew up and he observed the hens making the sound when they were bred. He reasoned it might work as a call for wild turkeys that's where the idea was hatched. (pun intended.)
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

mcvitullo

Postby mcvitullo » March 12th, 2010, 4:42 am

All I know is I learn alot from domestic turkeys. My own and I work at our family friends farm and he has a few domestic turkeys. I watch them all year long. I learn way more about their volcalizatications than I ever could in the month of spring turkey season. I watch how a hen will do small subtle tree yelps before a cakle as they fly up or down from roost. I listen to how gobblers accually sound as they fight. I learn so much from domestics. To tell the truth, I still have a small amount of faith that the squealing hen might work.

strut

Postby strut » March 12th, 2010, 9:04 am

yep i thought the silent whistle was also good...till i tried it..lets see 100,000 dumb turkey hunters + $25 bucks = 2.5 mil. yep make that 100,001 i got one
every day is a good day when your above ground

turkeynut

Postby turkeynut » March 12th, 2010, 3:16 pm

there's been worse things I'v wasted $25 buck on.

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » March 13th, 2010, 3:16 am

Other than an owl hooter, I have never found a call that consisted of hardened plastic to sound very realistic.. That's my opnion. Not even a box call with hardened plastic will i spend my money on.. Hate you lost your money. Maybe obama will send you a bailout!! He does it for everyone else.[:D]
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Calling